osOpinion: How Penguins Survive: Why the Free Software movement is Unkillable
Aug 31, 2000, 08:07 (10 Talkback[s])
(Other stories by Leon Brooks)
Desktop-as-a-Service Designed for Any Cloud ? Nutanix Frame
[ Thanks to Kelly
McNeill for this link. ]
"Threats don't work against the flock. Direct assault
doesn't work. There are too many penguins to deal with
individually, too little focus for serious control by an external
entity. So, what methods are left to an aggressor?"
"Attrition - picking off the penguins one by one. This has
numerous disadvantages for an aggressor, not the least of which is
that there are simply too many penguins. Or like a bear fishing at
an ice-hole, the aggressor may find that the penguins move too
fast. Worse, while they're busy giving penguins an unbearable time,
an orca (competitor) may pop up through the ice behind them and not
so much eat their lunch as eat them for lunch...."
"Starvation - removing opportunities for the flock to feed.
Following a "scorched ice" policy is difficult, at best. For the
aggressor, all of the disadvantages of attrition are present, and
in addition there are maneuverability issues...."
"Subversion - getting the penguins to believe lies. While many
individual penguins are highly skeptical, others are not. This
presents two avenues of attack, and I believe this is the most
dangerous threat to the Open Source community...."
- osOpinion: The Art of FUD(Aug 24, 2000)
- Inter@ctive Week: The Little Engine That Might(Aug 22, 2000)
- Advogato: Against FreeNet(Jul 27, 2000)
- LinuxPlanet: Editor's Note: Industry vs. Movement(Jul 24, 2000)
- USA Today: Could Linux outdo Windows?(Mar 09, 2000)
- TechRepublic: The future of Linux: Finding friends and foes(Feb 17, 2000)
- VARBusiness: Evolution Or Revolution? Linux Rattles the Business Mode(Dec 22, 1999)
- CBS MarketWatch: Are we facing Linux overload?(Dec 17, 1999)
- 32BitsOnline: FUD Attack from the Empire(Oct 07, 1999)
- Linux Journal: Killing Off Linux: It's All Academic(Sep 19, 1999)
- Upside: Operation Linux(Aug 05, 1999)
- Seybold Reports: Will Linux Replace NT?(Jul 28, 1999)
- Do Linux advocates have anything to fear from Microsoft?(May 28, 1999)