eWeek: Novell plans massive layoffs
Sep 01, 2000, 13:56 (7 Talkback[s])
(Other stories by Bon O'Regan)
Re-Imagining Linux Platforms to Meet the Needs of Cloud Service Providers
"...Another way to spur eDirectory deployment is to turn the
software over to the open-source community. A subject of
internal debate for more than a year, Novell has yet to hash out an
open-source strategy that doesn't cannibalize revenue opportunities
or eliminate the technological advantage Novell believes it has
"We are continuing to have discussions on open source for
eDirectory," said Ledbetter. "We're very intrigued by the
possibility of making the client side open source. We're willing to
do that, which is not quite the same as saying we're going to do
it. Certainly some pieces of it will become parts of the open
source as we move along."
"We're not ready to do that on the server side," he added.
"Nor does Novell plan to turn NetWare over to the open source
community, where it may have a better chance of fending off Linux.
Instead, it's evolving NetWare as a platform that Novell or its
licensees can embed in network services applications."
- VNU Net: Open source NetWare compatible OS unveiled ['Manos,' from Timpanogas](Aug 22, 2000)
- Network Computing: The Cross-Platform Challenge(Aug 21, 2000)
- VNU Net: Novell lays out masterplan for NetWare(Aug 18, 2000)
- ZDNet: Are Noorda's boys back?(Aug 04, 2000)
- Utah Uprising: Novell's Noorda Took On Microsoft Early(Jun 27, 2000)
- LinuxMall.com: Novell Looks Both Ways When Crossing Platforms(Jun 01, 2000)
- CNET.com: Novell warns of earnings shortfall(May 03, 2000)
- InfoWorld: Novell details far-reaching product road map(Mar 31, 2000)
- ComputerWorld: Q&A: Novell's Eric Schmidt(Mar 30, 2000)
- CNET News.com: Novell retools for the Internet(Mar 30, 2000)
- The Register: Confident Novell struts in DENIM(Mar 29, 2000)
- IT-Director: Directory sky hook too late for Novell?(Mar 29, 2000)