Pelletier/Latteier: Early Draft of O'Reilly Zope Book
Sep 12, 2000, 05:46 (0 Talkback[s])
(Other stories by Michel Pelletier, Amos Latteier)
Desktop-as-a-Service Designed for Any Cloud ? Nutanix Frame
Michael Pelletier and Amos Latteier have posted an early draft
of their upcomign Zope book for O'Reilly & Associates at the
Zope Web site. Though it's not been through the O'Reilly editorial
process, these sample chapters are definitely worth a look.
From the Preface:
"Zope was originally designed with a newspaper business model in
mind. The Zope customer was an Internet Service Provider who had
many customers (newspapers) that in turn had many customers (the
newspaper customers). To scale in this environment, Zope had to
embrace the idea of safely delegating control at each stage to
customers below your designated level in the web site."
"In order to safely delegate control, many things need to be
considered. First, you need to present information in an easy to
understand way. Most people understand clicking on folders better
than issuing database commands, so Zope uses a hierarchical object
database that feels like a filesystem. Command line tools can be
difficult to use, and people are generally comfortable with web
browsers, so Zope was built to be managed with a web browser.
Finally collaborative environments require facilities to keep
people from stepping on each others toes, so Zope developed undo,
versions, and other tools to help people work safely together."
"These features make Zope an environment for programming and
authoring web content. Finally, releasing Zope as Open Source
software provided for business decision makers with the power to
control their own technology."
"Thus, more power for more people is the first key
value statement for Zope."
- Zope.org: How To Use ZEO With Zope(Sep 09, 2000)
- Zope Weekly News for September 6, 2000(Sep 07, 2000)
- Apache Today: Apache in a Wireless World(Aug 18, 2000)
- Debian Security Advisory: new version of zope released(Aug 12, 2000)
- ITworld.com: Discussion about Zope with Paul Everitt [CEO of Digital Creations](Aug 10, 2000)
- Silicon.com: Customers tell Sybase 'we don't want Linux'(Aug 07, 2000)
- Wired: Disney 'Goes' to Open Source(Jul 27, 2000)
- Tucows Linux News: Zope 2.2.0 Web Content Management System(Jul 24, 2000)
- LinuxWorld: Still not addicted: Zope too geek for its own good(Jul 15, 2000)
- LinuxProgramming: Orion Server 1.0.3: A Commercial EJB Server for the Rest of Us(Jul 14, 2000)
- LinuxProgramming: Zope 2.1.6: An Alternative Application Server(Jun 08, 2000)
- Zope Weekly News for June 7, 2000(Jun 08, 2000)
- Zope Weekly News for June 1, 2000(Jun 02, 2000)
- Zope Weekly News for May 23, 2000(May 24, 2000)
- LinuxPlanet: The Zope Application Server Revisited(Jan 08, 2000)