Ch@nnelWeb: Sun's $2B Cobalt Acquisition Brings It To Entry-Level Hosting, ASP Market
Sep 20, 2000, 16:44 (0 Talkback[s])
(Other stories by Joseph F. Kovar)
Re-Imagining Linux Platforms to Meet the Needs of Cloud Service Providers
"The acquisition makes Cobalt big real fast, says Stephen
DeWitt, president and CEO of Cobalt. The appliance market requires
full channel and system resources, he says. "At the end of the day,
you are either No. 1 or No. 2 or nothing else. . . . The key is
getting big fast. This lets us scale quickly."
"In addition to the products, Sun also gets a big team of Cobalt
application developers, while Sun will provide Cobalt a much larger
worldwide distribution base, Rinnen says. ... Cobalt has both
direct and indirect sales forces, McFarlane says. "[Sun] can put a
super charger behind the sales channels by giving them access to
both cobalt and Sun channel partners," he says. "[Cobalt] gets the
keys to the cookie jar."
"McFarlane expects twofold channel opportunities from the deal.
"[Cobalt's] teams have partners that give us access to their
market," he says. "And Sun's service provider market has been
growing faster than Sun as a whole, giving [Cobalt's] people access
to a big service provider base."
- TechWeb: Sun, Cobalt Deal Puts Linux In Spotlight(Sep 20, 2000)
- CNET News.com: Sun scoops up Cobalt for $2 billion in stock(Sep 20, 2000)
- Sun buys into low-end web device market [w/Cobalt purchase](Sep 20, 2000)
- PRNewswire: Intel Incorporates Intershop Hosting Software Into e-Commerce Appliances(Sep 19, 2000)
- Sun Takes a Shine to Cobalt(Sep 19, 2000)
- eWeek: Sun snaps up Cobalt Networks for $2B(Sep 19, 2000)
- CNNfn: Sun to buy Cobalt for $2B(Sep 19, 2000)
- BW: IBM And Cobalt Agree to Market Chili!Soft ASP for AIX and Linux(Sep 13, 2000)
- PRNewswire: HostNYC Announces Integration of Cobalt RaQ 4 Server Appliance Into Hosting Services(Sep 13, 2000)
- PRNewswire: Dialtone Internet Introduces the Cobalt Intershop RaQ E-Commerce Appliance(Aug 23, 2000)
- LinuxPR: LinuxSure.co.uk wins support of UK2.NET's RAQ3 customers.
(Jul 31, 2000)
- Upside: A year after the Linux IPOs(Jul 26, 2000)