Subject: KDE2 release schedule update
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 12:22:08 +0200
From: Matthias Elter
Due to the KOffice meeting the release process has been delayed a few
days. The KOffice meeting went very well, by the way. We spent all
of the time on bug fixing, both on KOffice and KDE core compenents.
KDE is in a fairly good shape by now and we agreed that it is time
to draw a line now.
KDE2 v1.0 release schedule
- CVS tag KDE_2_0_RELEASE
- cvs is effectively read-only now
- the tag will be moved for _real_ show stoppers only
- at least two core developers have to approve a show stopper fix
- RC1 tarballs will be released
- prepare KDE 2.0 final tarballs
- release tarballs to the packagers
- spread source and binary packages to the mirror sites
- announce KDE2 v1.0
- PARTY on irc.kde.org
Yes, this means that KDE2 is going to happen finally. After some
discussions at the meeting this weekend we came up with a rough
post-KDE2 road map:
- Immediately after the KDE2 v1.0 release a KDE_2_0 branch will be
created. Fixes to this branch will be released as KDE2 1.0.X
versions soon after the 1.0 release. The KDE_2_0 branch is not open
for feature commits.
- The HEAD branch is open for feature commits after the 1.0 release.
We however maintain kdelibs binary compatibility. The base
applications will probably see the most significant improvements. We
aim for incremental rather than revolutionary improvements this
- February/March 2001 - KDE2 1.1 release.
- March 2001 - HEAD will be moved to Qt3.0 which is scheduled for
February/March 2001. This means that we will break kdelibs binary
compatibility for KDE2 1.2, but this will happen anyway due to the
new compiler ABIs.
- Summer 2001 - KDE2 1.2 based on Qt3.0