Upside: Raymond to pen 'Zen and the Art of Unix'
Oct 03, 2000, 18:55 (5 Talkback[s])
(Other stories by Sam Williams)
Re-Imagining Linux Platforms to Meet the Needs of Cloud Service Providers
[ Thanks to hey
for this link. ]
"Open source author Eric Raymond discussed his future writing
plans, including an upcoming book on the "Zen and the Art of Unix,"
at the Oracle (ORCL) OpenWorld in San Francisco Monday."
"When asked whether he foresaw events such as Netscape's 1998
decision to release the source code for its Mozilla Web browser --
an event which helped put Raymond on the national media map when
Netscape chairman Jim Barksdale cited the original "Cathedral and
the Bazaar" essay as a major influence -- Raymond shied away from
taking too much credit."
"As for the future of development, Raymond, speaking in a
pretaped lead-in piece, predicted a future in which the vast
majority of the world's software is developed via the open source
model. ... In the meantime, Raymond said he was looking
forward to completing two writing projects, a new online essay in
the same vein as "Cathedral and the Bazaar" and "Homesteading the
Noosphere" and a full-length book on Unix programming."
- Lotus.com: Charles Connell Replies to Eric Raymond(Sep 30, 2000)
- Lotus.com: Eric Raymond replies to Charles Connell(Sep 29, 2000)
- Eric S. Raymond: Second draft chapter of "The Art of Unix Programming" released(Sep 28, 2000)
- Government Technology: Eric Raymond [An Interview](Sep 22, 2000)
- LinuxWorld: Eric Raymond's tips for effective open source advocacy(Sep 13, 2000)
- Eric Raymond: A Response to the DVDCCA Brief(Aug 28, 2000)
- LWN: ESR to Linus on "the curse of the gifted"(Aug 28, 2000)
- Eric S. Raymond: The Jargon File version 4.2.2 is available(Aug 21, 2000)
- Eric Raymond: Two Faces and Big Lies(Jul 30, 2000)
- Linux Magazine: Live Free or Die [Eric Raymond Q&A](May 20, 2000)
- Inter@ctive Week: Top 25 Unsung Heroes of the Net [Eric Raymond](Mar 11, 2000)
- O'Reilly Network: An Interview with Eric Raymond and Tim O'Reilly(Feb 19, 2000)