LinuxPower: The Backend Team: An Interview with Loki's QA & Support Department
Oct 14, 2000, 12:40 (0 Talkback[s])
Re-Imagining Linux Platforms to Meet the Needs of Cloud Service Providers
"The job of being the quality assurance and support team for
just any company may not sound like everybody's cup of tea. But
what if you were one of the quality assurance and support people
for Loki Entertainment Software, helping in the process of porting
games to Linux and supporting them after release? Sounds a bit
better ;) We've taken the chance to interview Andy Mecham and Mike
Phillips, the guys filling that position at Loki right now to get a
view on what it's like to test games on a daily basis."
"Brandon: How closely are the Windows versions checked
for bugs and when they are inevitably found, are they corrected in
the Linux version?
Andy: We'll fix bugs that exist in the Windows
version if they don't break things like network compatibility, etc.
We also forward those fixes on back to the Windows developers.
Mike: If a bug is found in the Linux version,
and it appears to be a gameplay bug, it is checked against the
Windows version to see if it is a game or a port bug. We
frequently fix a number of bugs in the Linux version, and in some
cases (e.g. Call to Power) the bug fixes make it back into the
Windows product. However, sometimes bugs have to be left in,
because fixing them either breaks network compatibility, or
save-game (and thus Play-By-Email) compatibility."
- Linux.com: Loki: In The Trenches(Oct 10, 2000)
- LinuxGames: Loki Porting Tribes 2(Sep 30, 2000)
- LinuxPR: Loki and Trolltech Form Strategic Alliance to Develop Linux Applications(Sep 06, 2000)
- LinuxPR: Loki Takes It All
(Aug 25, 2000)
- LinuxMall.com: Loki to Give Linux Gamers the 'Bot(Jun 21, 2000)
- LWN: Loki Announces Quake III Arena Editor for Linux(May 25, 2000)
- Linux.com: The Michael Vance interview [Game Developer for Loki](May 11, 2000)
- Tucows Linux News: Heavy Gear II: Loki does it again [Review](Apr 27, 2000)
- O'Reilly Network: An Interview with Loki Games' Scott Draeker(Mar 19, 2000)
- Fragbait.com: An Interview with Sam Lantinga, Lead Programmer of Loki Games(Mar 18, 2000)
- Linux Journal: Loki Brings 3D Sound to 3D Vision [via OpenAL](Mar 11, 2000)
- Slashdot: Answers from Loki President Scott Draeker(Mar 10, 2000)