Total Telecom: AOL's Case (#4) more influential in U.K. than Bill Gates (#8); Torvalds #39
Oct 17, 2000, 20:23 (1 Talkback[s])
Re-Imagining Linux Platforms to Meet the Needs of Cloud Service Providers
"AOL chairman and chief executive Steve Case has more influence
over the daily lives of the U.K. population than any other IT or
telecoms figure, according to a "Power 300" list compiled by one of
Britain's terrestrial broadcasters Channel 4 and printed in Sunday
newspaper The Observer."
The list, decided upon by a panel of seven judges from
business, the media and the arts, is of the 300 people worldwide
who exert the greatest influence on the inhabitants of the
U.K. ...Case comes in fourth, with the notes accompanying his
entry citing the impending Time Warner merger..."
"Following Bill Clinton in seventh place is one Bill Gates of
Microsoft. Other industry luminaries in the list that attracted
Total Telecom's attention are: ...
36. Louis Gerstner, chairman and CEO, IBM.
38. Steve Jobs, interim CEO, co-founder of Apple Computer.
39. Linus Torvalds, father of the Linux operating system.
58. Hans Snook, chief executive, Orange.
68. Larry Ellison, chairman and CEO, Oracle.
69. Mario Monti, competition commissioner, EC.
72. Andy Grove, chairman, Intel.
75. Tim Berners-Lee, director, World Wide Web consortium (W3C), and
one of the true fathers of the Web."