We Won: MS targets Linux in German advertising
Oct 22, 2000, 03:23 (110 Talkback[s])
(Other stories by Kristian Köhntopp)
Re-Imagining Linux Platforms to Meet the Needs of Cloud Service Providers
[ Thanks to Kristian KÃ¶hntopp for this link. ]
World domination is right on schedule! Today Linux won another important victory as Microsoft for the first time targets an ad directly against Linux. The two-page ad appears in the current issue of the German language ct magazine. Even better is the MS choice of header text in the ad -- it reads
"An open operating system does not just have advantages"
thus acknowledging that open operating systems do have advantages! The fine print plays on the fear of Linux not being under the tight control of one central authority, thus changing unpredictably, maybe even forking? It translates as
"An open operating system sometimes just mutates. Instead Windows 2000 offers all services from a single source. This saves time and consequently really money. More info under www.microsoft.com/germany/windows2000"
Yes, they wrote "really money" instead of promising "real money."
This ends the denial phase at Microsoft and opens the next phase of world domination, open competition.
JPEG scan of print ad
- Smart Partner: What's MS Worried About?(Oct 21, 2000)
- IT-Analysis: IBM surfs the Linux tidal wave; Linux surging in Germany(Oct 20, 2000)
- ZDNet: A kinder, humbler Microsoft?(Oct 20, 2000)
- The xEyes/gEyes Fork: Yet Another Attempt by Microsoft to Cripple Linux?(Oct 19, 2000)
- The Register: MS beats Street, ungrateful Street beats up MS, for Quarter ending 9/30(Oct 19, 2000)
- Microsoft considers apps for Linux(Oct 19, 2000)
- Where is Microsoft going tomorrow?(Oct 13, 2000)
- National Post: Microsoft using Corel to ease into Linux, documents hint(Oct 12, 2000)
- AllLinuxDevices: MontaVista Expands with New Operations Base in Germany(Oct 05, 2000)
- kmLinux : new German Linux distribution for schools(Sep 18, 2000)
- The Register: German ruling loosens MS lock on reselling of Windows(Jul 12, 2000)
- InfoWorld: German court says OK to [dealers] unbundling [MS software](Jul 11, 2000)
- InternetNews.com: German Federal Government to Support Open Source Software(Jul 06, 2000)
- LinuxMall.com: �berLinux: The Organizers of Germany's LinuxTag(Jun 29, 2000)
- LinuxPR: German Start-up to Develop Medical Image-Processing Software under Linux(Jun 25, 2000)
- Linux feature following MS break-up news on German TV(Jun 08, 2000)
- Fred Mobach: German goverment continues Open Source promotion(May 28, 2000)
- Open Source in the federal administration of Germany(Mar 19, 2000)
- German Linux distributions(Feb 15, 2000)
- Heise.de: [German] Federal Government promotes Open Source(Nov 16, 1999)