National Post: Your choice: Microsoft or mutating penguins
Oct 25, 2000, 09:54 (39 Talkback[s])
(Other stories by David Akin)
Desktop-as-a-Service Designed for Any Cloud ? Nutanix Frame
[ Thanks to Bill Bailey for this link.
"But even though customers, industry experts, and Microsoft
competitors have long conceded the legitimacy of Linux, Microsoft
itself has been loath to lend any credence to open source software
development, the model through which Linux and other products such
as the Apache Web server are being developed."
"But in two-page advertisement appearing this month in the
German-language c't (Magazin für Computertechnologie)
magazine, Microsoft Germany takes direct aim at Linux. The ad also
appears in the current edition of Computerwoche. Both magazines are
read primarily by information technology professionals...."
"The ad's copy warns, in German, that, 'An open operating system
does not just have advantages' and then says, in some smaller print
above that: 'An open operating system can mutate unexpectedly. But
with Windows 2000, you get all services and support from the same
vendor. That will save time and real money.'"
- osOpinion: Linux: You'll Never Get Rid of It!(Oct 25, 2000)
- Motley Fool: Unanswered Questions at Microsoft re Quarterly Report(Oct 23, 2000)
- Rant Mode Equals One: What To Do When You Find Windows On Your Linux LAN(Oct 23, 2000)
- We Won: MS targets Linux in German advertising(Oct 22, 2000)
- Smart Partner: What's MS Worried About?(Oct 21, 2000)
- ZDNet: A kinder, humbler Microsoft?(Oct 20, 2000)
- The Register: MS beats Street, ungrateful Street beats up MS, for Quarter ending 9/30(Oct 19, 2000)
- Linux Format: Corel: In bed with the enemy?(Oct 19, 2000)
- Microsoft considers apps for Linux(Oct 19, 2000)
- osOpinion: Are Canadian Tax Dollars Promoting Microsoft?(Oct 17, 2000)
- Byte.com: Analyzing Microsoft's Corel Investment(Oct 17, 2000)
- Ottawa Citizen: Corel deal gives Microsoft inside track on Linux(Oct 14, 2000)