The Standard: Let the Music Play: Bertelsmann and Napster Come Together
Nov 01, 2000, 14:28 (2 Talkback[s])
(Other stories by Michael Learmonth)
Re-Imagining Linux Platforms to Meet the Needs of Cloud Service Providers
"The German media giant says it will loan money to Napster
to develop a secure file-sharing service and will drop its suit if
the service is implemented."
"Bertelsmann, the German media and publishing giant, broke ranks
today with the major record labels by announcing a strategic
alliance with Napster, the song-sharing company it had been suing.
Together, the two companies will develop the file-swapping
service's commercial potential."
"Napster has pointed the way for a new direction for music
distribution, and we believe it will form the basis of important
and exciting new business models for the future of the music
industry," said Bertelsmann CEO Thomas Middelhoff in a
"Under the terms of the agreement, Bertelsmann will assist
Napster in developing a membership-based service that compensates
artists, record labels and publishers each time a song is traded.
As soon as Napster implements the service, Bertelsmann's music
division, BMG, will withdraw its lawsuit and make its catalog
Complete Story [ Site displays pop-up ads ]
- The Register: Senator Hatch's Napster Epiphany(Oct 24, 2000)
- Canada Computes: GNapster - Open Source 'Thievery'
(Oct 17, 2000)
- SF Gate: The Napster Effect; Program may have started something that no court can stop(Sep 28, 2000)
- Time: Meet the Napster (Sep 26, 2000)
- SF Gate: Universities balk at blocking Napster(Sep 24, 2000)
- Upside: Linux and Napster users: Cut from the same yarn(Sep 20, 2000)
- Napster Issues Final Statement for Appeal(Sep 14, 2000)
- U.S. Copyright Office Rejects Napster's First Line of Defense(Sep 13, 2000)
- LinuxWorld: Napster and DeCSS: Is it about free speech or free stuff?(Sep 03, 2000)
- InfoWorld/Reuters: Tech Giants Weigh in on Napster Controversy(Sep 03, 2000)
- LinuxToday.com.au: Linux and Napster - The Paradoxical Parallels(Aug 30, 2000)
- The Register: Sony backtracks from anti-Napster spiel(Aug 29, 2000)
- InfoWorld: Intel backing Napster model(Aug 10, 2000)
- SJ Mercury: Dan Gillmor: Issues aside, how Napster works is what really matters(Aug 08, 2000)