Silicon.com: 'Linux is Unix,' says Sun. 'No it isn't,' says IBM...
Nov 01, 2000, 20:43 (24 Talkback[s])
(Other stories by Sonya Rabbitte)
Desktop-as-a-Service Designed for Any Cloud ? Nutanix Frame
"IBM has accused Sun of confusing customers with its Linux
strategy and lacking sufficient understanding of the open source
OS. The conflict stems from last week's Gartner Group symposium in
Florida where Scott McNealy, CEO of Sun, irritated open source
die-hards by claiming Unix was the same as Linux."
"Despite what they say, Linux is Unix, and Sun is the biggest
and best Unix company. We'll be number one in Linux by a long shot.
I'll challenge our Linux experience against Redhat any day,"
McNealy told the audience."
"McNealy's comments were subsequently ridiculed by Dan Frye,
director of IBM's Linux Technology Center in New York, who claimed
Sun misunderstands Linux completely. He said: "It's a bold
assertion that Unix is Linux. It shows they haven't really figured
out what Linux is and what it can do."
- IBM ditches Transmeta notebook plans(Nov 02, 2000)
- LinuxProgramming.com: IBM releases AFS as Open Source(Nov 01, 2000)
- AsiaBizTech: IBM Japan to Install 15,000 Linux Servers in Lawson Stores(Nov 01, 2000)
- LinuxPR: IBM Application Solution Center Starting to Port Linux Applications to Itanium(Oct 28, 2000)
- Enterprise Linux Today: In Context: IBM's DB2 7.1 EEE: Pushing the Envelope for Enterprise Linux(Oct 26, 2000)
- IT-Director: Sun to be Number 1 in Linux(Oct 19, 2000)
- TechWeb: New Role For Sun: Linux Booster?(Oct 18, 2000)
- In Context: Sun's "Linux Strategy" -- What Is It?(Sep 28, 2000)
- Techweb: Sun Needs To Warm Up To Linux, Analyst Says(Sep 06, 2000)
- CNET News.com: A kinder, gentler [Sun CEO] McNealy? Don't count on it(Sep 02, 2000)