EE Times: Transmeta preps for IPO amid talk of IBM's defection
Nov 03, 2000, 22:53 (0 Talkback[s])
(Other stories by Alexander Wolfe)
Re-Imagining Linux Platforms to Meet the Needs of Cloud Service Providers
"Transmeta Corp. will go to Comdex in Las Vegas later this
month flush with an impressive series of design wins. The company
is also poised to pile up a huge war chest of cash, because
its initial public offering (IPO) of stock is expected to hit the
market on Tuesday (Nov. 7)."
"Nevertheless, the company was buffeted this past week by
reports stating that IBM Corp. was pulling the plug on plans to use
Transmeta's Crusoe processors in its Thinkpad notebook
"Given the widespread media play of the IBM story, insiders
believe that Transmeta will have to run the tough stock market
gauntlet many technology startups have had to go through in recent
months. For this reason, those same insiders believe the IPO will
be subject to rigorous scrutiny by potential buyers."
"On the technical front, IBM does have some research technology
up its sleeve that could mean potent competition for Transmeta's
processors, which run the X86 instruction set. An IBM research team
in Yorktown Heights, N.Y., has implemented a low-level very-long
instruction word (VLIW) chip that has a relatively small number of
execution units - in this case, eight."
- CNET News.com: Transmeta could wake up moribund IPO market(Nov 03, 2000)
- Linux.com: Transmeta: Revisiting Predictions
(Nov 03, 2000)
- The Register: Intel claimed to have squeezed IBM to dump Transmeta(Nov 02, 2000)
- The Register: Desperate Dell begging Transmeta for a Crusoe deal?
(Nov 02, 2000)
- IBM ditches Transmeta notebook plans(Nov 01, 2000)
- CNET News.com: IBM puts Transmeta plans on hold(Nov 01, 2000)
- Hardware Central: Transmeta's Crusoe, Hot Rod or Performance Hog? (Oct 30, 2000)
- The Standard: Transmeta? You Betcha'!(Oct 28, 2000)
- ZDNet: Transmeta reviews criticize performance(Oct 26, 2000)
- The Register: Transmeta speed debate -- damned lies and benchmarks?
(Oct 25, 2000)
- PC World: Sony's Transmeta: Longer Life, Less Performance(Oct 17, 2000)
- Transmeta files details of IPO(Oct 02, 2000)