TechWeb: AMD Lays Out 2001 Plans To Analysts
Nov 11, 2000, 20:39 (1 Talkback[s])
(Other stories by Mark Hachman)
Re-Imagining Linux Platforms to Meet the Needs of Cloud Service Providers
[ Thanks to mike for this link.
"The Athlon and Duron will give way to the Palomino and Morgan
in 2001, improved Athlon cores with 256 Kbytes and 64 Kbytes of
on-chip cache, respectively. Both processors will feature an
improved Athlon core with lower power and microarchitectural
"But the Palomino will also reach only 1.5 GHz in the second
quarter of 2001, about 500 MHz below Intel's plans for the Pentium
4. According to AMD's own tests, that won't matter: a 1.2-GHz
Athlon will outperform the Pentium 4 at 1.5 GHz in most benchmarks,
according to Dirk Meyer, vice president of engineering at AMD's
computational products group."
"AMD also looks forward to bringing the 64-bit microprocessor
generation to the desktop. A previously undisclosed version of
AMD's 64-bit Hammer chip, Clawhammer, will begin sampling at the
end of 2001 for desktops and server appliances and enter production
in the first quarter of 2002. Sledgehammer, a 4- and 8-way
capable part for servers, will sample in the first quarter of 2002
and ship a quarter later.
"More importantly, AMD executives said the 0.13-micron
Clawhammer will be smaller than 100 sq. mm, smaller and arguably
cheaper than the company's existing Duron low-end PC
microprocessor. ... The performance of the Hammer generation
will also be improved by AMD's move to a silicon-on-insulator (SOI)
process, which can cut the capacitance of the chip.
...power can either be cut by 30 percent or performance
increased by the same amount..."
- The Register: Transmeta helping out AMD, MS with Sledgehammer coding?
(Nov 08, 2000)
- AMD releases 64bit software simulator(Nov 02, 2000)
- Linux Journal: Review of AMD's Duron Processor(Oct 21, 2000)
- The Register: AMD ships Linux 64-bit Hammer x86-64 simulator(Oct 06, 2000)
- AMD Athlon + AMD 751/756 Chipset UNUSABLE in Linux [Debian](Sep 18, 2000)
- ZDNet UK: Transmeta flirting with AMD and 1GHz(Aug 21, 2000)
- CNET News.com: SuSE to help AMD bring Linux to Sledgehammer
(Aug 15, 2000)
- CPU Review: AMD's 64 bit x86 "Hammer"(Aug 11, 2000)
- ZDNet: AMD swings its 64-bit 'SledgeHammer'(Aug 10, 2000)
- CNET News.com: AMD, Intel expand Linux support(Jun 14, 2000)
- CNET News.com: AMD chips the secret ingredient in new supercomputer(May 26, 2000)
- CRN: Will Resellers Ride AMD products into Intel's server Territory?(Feb 15, 2000)
- CPU Review: AMD Athlon 1GHz: Running Linux(Jan 24, 2000)