SearchEnterpriseLinux.com: Red Hat's Michael Tiemann: Linux is enterprise-ready
Nov 21, 2000, 12:59 (2 Talkback[s])
(Other stories by Jan Stafford)
How to Help Your Business Become an AI Early Adopter
"SearchEnterpriseLinux: Some analysts say that
Linux technology is not enterprise-ready. Do you think that's
"Tiemann: If you asked the IT 500 today if
the Internet is a mission critical component of the enterprise,
you'd hear a resounding 'Yes!' Next, ask how many of them are
already running Linux for their Internet applications, and you'll
find a large percentage are. The fact is that enterprises are
already depending on Linux today. Even if Linux is not within their
own walls, if they go from A to B on the Internet they're going to
pass through an open source interface. That could be Sendmail,
which is routing 85 percent of all Internet e-mail, or the Linux OS
or the Apache Web server. The real question is what platform is
best at doing the computing tasks that are needed to be done today.
The answer from users would be 'Linux.' Enterprises are using the
Internet. That's an open and shut case."
"SearchEnterpriseLinux: Yet, IT professionals
who favor Linux tell me that it is hard to convince corporate
executives that Linux is the right OS for their organizations."
"Tiemann: There have been times in the industry
when everyone thought the right thing to do was to wear a white
shirt and a tie. The shirt-and-tie people look at Linux and say,
"How dare these innovative people come in and bring new ideas?"
There was the same resistance to changes in manufacturing. How dare
the workers on the shop floor suggest how the factory should be
run? But, boy, did that work well for the Japanese. Boy, did that
work well when we incorporated that process into our production
facility. I see the adoption of new ideas as part of an
evolutionary process. Red Hat is always delighted when management
decides to support the individuals on the front lines, taking their
suggestion to use the Linux operating system."
- CNET News.com/Gartner: Gartner Surveys Enterprise Operating Systems(Nov 03, 2000)
- Enterprise Linux Online: Why Use a Roadmap When You Can Call a Taxi?
(Oct 28, 2000)
- CNET Enterprise: Linux Gets Down to Business(Oct 25, 2000)
- ITworld: Coming of age for Linux systems management(Oct 19, 2000)
- Gartner Group: Is Marriage to Unix the Answer to Enterprise Linux?
(Oct 15, 2000)
- ZDNet UK: Compaq issues a 'Geek' warning over Linux(Oct 09, 2000)
- Smart Partner: Two Rivals, One Destination(Sep 08, 2000)
- osOpinion: The Business Side: Linux Visibility in a Different Light(Sep 07, 2000)
- Network World: Mainframe Linux to get mgmt. boost(Aug 01, 2000)
- Australian IT: Softly, softly, Linux is creeping up(Jul 04, 2000)