Upside: IBPhoenix (Interbase) president gets past the politics
Nov 22, 2000, 09:13 (0 Talkback[s])
(Other stories by Sam Williams)
Re-Imagining Linux Platforms to Meet the Needs of Cloud Service Providers
"In December 1999, however, talk coming out of the
Inprise/Borland headquarters caused Harrison's ears to perk up
again. Mounting excitement over Linux prompted Inprise Chief
Executive Officer Dale Fuller to propose that InterBase be licensed
as an open source software program."
"For Harrison, Fuller's proposal came as welcome news. Although
Inprise showed no signs of dropping the InterBase product line, she
and other developers saw an opportunity to build a profitable
company with or without Inprise's help. They also saw an
opportunity to take back technical control of a project that, in
the opinion of more than a few InterBase users and developers, had
been allowed to languish in recent years."
"There's this very passionate community that uses InterBase,"
says Jason Wharton, a software developer who incorporates InterBase
in a suite of data access components for Delphi and C++ Builder,
two popular programming suites also licensed by Borland. "A lot of
these people see InterBase as this technically beautiful product
that, if Borland knew how to market it properly, should have eaten
up everything in the market."
- IBPhoenix.com: What's Happening to InterBase?(Nov 15, 2000)
- Inprise.com: Open Letter to Our InterBase Customers(Sep 12, 2000)
- PRNewswire: Inprise/Borland's Interbase Ships With Cobalt Networks Next Generation Server Appliance(Jul 31, 2000)
- Borland.com: Inprise/Borland Introduces Interbase 6.0 Now Free and Open Source on Linux...(Jul 25, 2000)
- PC Week: Inprise's InterBase spin-off goes open-source route(Feb 18, 2000)
- PC Week: InterBase proves its mettle [Review](Feb 16, 2000)
- VNUnet: Inprise/Borland spins off Interbase database as separate company(Feb 15, 2000)
- CRN: Interbase 6 To Support Linux, Solaris(Jan 08, 2000)
- Linux Journal: Inprise Opens Up Interbase(Jan 05, 2000)
- PC Week: Inprise mulls future of InterBase division(Dec 29, 1999)