ComputerWorld: Dell CEO Explains Shift From PCs; Microsoft concerns re Dell and Linux
Dec 18, 2000, 14:45 (7 Talkback[s])
Desktop-as-a-Service Designed for Any Cloud ? Nutanix Frame
"On Dec. 7, Dell Computer Corp.'s share price fell to a 52-week
low of $17.44 after hitting a 52-week high of nearly $60 in March.
On Dec. 8 at the company's headquarters here, Chairman and CEO
Michael Dell spoke with Computerworld's Don Tennant about what Dell
plans to do to make his company less vulnerable to a whimsical
financial market that's punishing PC makers."
"Q: You've made it very clear that you're
interested in the Linux market. Do you feel as if [Microsoft
Chairman] Bill Gates and [Microsoft President and CEO] Steve
Ballmer are keeping an eye on you?
A: When I think about Linux, I don't think
about Ballmer and Gates. For Unix-centric customers, we think Linux
is a great alternative to [Sun Microsystems Inc.'s] Solaris. The
gestation cycle for Linux is a fairly long one, so we don't expect
that this thing will all of a sudden be a massive percentage of the
"Q: Has Microsoft approached you directly
to talk about your Linux plans?
A: It certainly has been a topic of
discussion. What we've tried to impress upon them is that there are
reasons why people are buying this [Linux], and we try to help them
understand what we think those are. To the extent that they
want to address those, great. Competition is a beautiful
- Dell Seeks to Make it Easy with Eazel(Dec 02, 2000)
- eWeek: Dell gives Linux a bigger hug; invests in Eazel(Dec 01, 2000)
- Dell pushes Linux in Comdex keynote; Dell's mum leads assault on palmtops(Nov 14, 2000)
- The Register: Desperate Dell begging Transmeta for a Crusoe deal?
(Nov 02, 2000)
- CNET News.com: Dell pokes at Compaq, elegizes WebPC [& comments on Linux](Sep 22, 2000)
- VNU Net: Dell backs Linux with R&D dollars(Aug 17, 2000)
- eWeek: Michael Dell sings Linux's praises(Aug 16, 2000)
- CNET News.com: Dell looks to keep Sun at bay with Linux(Aug 16, 2000)
- Linux Planet: Dell and Linux: A Shotgun Wedding?(Aug 16, 2000)
- Linux Magazine: Michael Dell's Company is Serious About Linux(Aug 15, 2000)
- The Register: Dell to demo Linux on Itanium(Aug 14, 2000)
- The Register: Linux and notebooks boost Dell revenue(Aug 11, 2000)