LinuxNewbie.org: RPMs: Dependencies
Dec 23, 2000, 15:03 (10 Talkback[s])
(Other stories by Evil Jeff)
How to Help Your Business Become an AI Early Adopter
[ Thanks to Sensei
for this link. ]
"RPMs are the standard package for Red Hat based systems.
Because Red Hat is so popular, it has become a sort of industry
standard in package management. However, rpms can be very moody
since they don't automatically handle dependencies for you."
"What is a dependency? One of the things that make *nix based
systems so fast and powerful is the fact that programs share
libraries. Libraries are sets of commands that many different
programs will use in order to save space and memory on your system.
You probably would recognize some of the more popular ones from
when you first installed linux - gtk, qt, glibc, svga... the list
goes on and on. Libraries are great, until you try and install an
rpm and you get an error claiming that you are missing a file from
one or more of them."
"The problem is that rpm front ends do not tell you what
other rpm packages you need to satisfy these dependencies. They
only tell you what exact files you need before it will install
correctly. So before you go looking at your distribution's site for
foo.x.x.so.1 or whatever, here is a good way to find out what rpm
package you need."
- Linux.com: Red Hat Package Manager: A Better Way To Install Software(Dec 23, 2000)
- Freshmeat: An RPM port of APT(Dec 02, 2000)
- New Online Resource: PBone RPM Search(Nov 30, 2000)
- NorthernJourney.com: Linux for Newbies: Installing and Updating Packages with RPM(Nov 19, 2000)
- LinuxWorld: Bob Young on Red Hat's origins - Meeting Mark Ewing and the genesis of RPM(Nov 15, 2000)
- FreeOS.com: RPM usage for newbies(Oct 21, 2000)
- Freshmeat: Is it time to change RPM?(Sep 16, 2000)
- Red Hat Product Enhancement Advisory: New version of rpm required to install Red Hat updates(Aug 09, 2000)
- Linux.com: An Introduction to Packages and the RPM System(Jun 10, 2000)
- LinuxMall.com: Red Hat Offers Maximum RPMv.2 as Free Download(Jun 09, 2000)
- LinuxPapers.org: The RPM System(Apr 22, 2000)
- LinuxMonth: RPM - Installing, Querying, Deleting your packages(Mar 20, 2000)
- Penguin Magazine: Help with RPM(Feb 27, 2000)
- Red Hat: Whitepaper: Changes in RPM 3.0(Jan 09, 2000)