Linux.com: Struggles of a website designer.
Dec 26, 2000, 18:00 (3 Talkback[s])
(Other stories by Katharine McCoy)
How to Help Your Business Become an AI Early Adopter
"I'm not the artistic type, never have been. My brother
inherited the graphics skills and I inherited the scientific mind.
I always considered it to be an even split. I now sit in front of
my computer trying to create a design on my computer that reflects
all of the images that I have floating around in my mind. It's
hard. I have been spoiled my entire life because I haven't had to
express any of the artistic ideas that come into my mind. Instead,
I let other people do my work."
"My attitude towards graphics and the arts reflected my former
attitude about operating systems. I'll let someone else do the work
while I get an easy out. Everything's completed for me, I just have
to click a button. Growing up, Windows was great. All was laid out
for me. As I got older, Windows became more and more frustrating
because I could envision all of these things that I wanted to do
with my operating system, but couldn't. If I found a bug in the
system, I had to wait for a service pack to be released before it
could be patched. That would sometimes take months, too."
"Then I discovered Linux. It allowed me to do the things
that I couldn't in Windows. If I found a bug, I could fix it
myself. If I didn't like the way things were, I could change it. In
exchange for this freedom, though, I had to do it all myself. I had
to learn commands to get around the kernel. I had to learn the
differences between the kernel and the window manager. Before, all
of this had been packaged together as a single operating system.
Those days were gone."
- Enterprise Linux Today: Florist.com Blossoms with Open Source E-Commerce Software from Akopia(Dec 26, 2000)
- IBM developerWorks: Introduction to PHP - Finally, the perfect language for dynamic content & database interaction(Dec 25, 2000)
- ApacheWeek: Book Review: Beginning PHP4(Dec 24, 2000)
- O'Reilly Network: Basic Installation of PHP on a Unix System(Nov 24, 2000)
- ShowMeLinux.com: Bluefish HTML Editor Review(Oct 07, 2000)
- DevShed.com: How To Build the Apache of Your Dreams(Sep 29, 2000)
- Linux.com: Gimp vs. Photoshop: An Amateur Artist's View(Sep 29, 2000)
- IBM developerWorks: Personalized web sites in a jiffy [w/PHP & mySQL](Sep 23, 2000)
- LinuxPR: TWiki - A FREE Web Based Collaboration Tool - New version(May 04, 2000)
- XML.com: Processing XML with Perl(Apr 12, 2000)
- Intranet Design Magazine: XSLT, the XML Babelfish: De-Balkanizing the most important standard...(Apr 05, 2000)