LinuxWorld: New Year predictions and VMware revisited
Jan 07, 2001, 22:00 (3 Talkback[s])
(Other stories by Nicholas Petreley)
Re-Imagining Linux Platforms to Meet the Needs of Cloud Service Providers
"Well, it's predictions time again -- and boy, is it easy this
year. My first prediction is that we will see the 2.4 version of
the Linux kernel arrive early in 2001, and version 2.4.1 arrive by
the middle of the year. Version 2.4.1 will include support for the
Reiserfs journaling filesystem, as well as a host of other nice
enhancements. Unfortunately, 2.4.1 will not include the ability to
create a core dump of all running threads when a multithreaded
application crashes, nor will it include the ability to assign each
thread its own process identification. I predict that people will
submit patches for those features, but Linus Torvalds will not
approve them, so the next kernel will not implement them."
"I predict that this is the year Sun will license Java under the
GPL as part of a multiple licensing scheme. The open source
community will continue to shun Java on the grounds that it's not
true open source -- community members will still resent the fact
that Sun wants to approve changes to the official Java platform
before they are implemented."
"... But far more of you than I thought need to use VMware.
There seemed to be two uses of this software that topped the list.
First, VMware makes it easy to develop a single application for
multiple platforms, since you can do all of your development and
testing at the same workstation. Second, you can provide technical
support for that application on all the supported platforms at a
single workstation, as well."
- Globetechnology.com: The Linux paradox; sizzle gone but future never brighter(Jan 04, 2001)
- LinuxWorld: Linux predictions for 2001(Jan 04, 2001)
- NewsForge: Looking backwards on 2000 predictions(Jan 03, 2001)
- ZDNet: The Year of Predicting Dangerously?; 2001 the "Year of Managed Services" for Linux?(Dec 29, 2000)
- InfoWorld: Am I the only one who doesn't know why to use VMware?(Dec 11, 2000)
- LinuxLookup.com: VMware 2.0.3 For Linux Review(Dec 10, 2000)
- PC Magazine: Dual Booting Getting Easier(Nov 12, 2000)
- Linux Magazine: Getting Virtual with VMware 2.0 [Review](Aug 28, 2000)
- osOpinion: Vmware, the key to Apple's Darwin(Apr 25, 2000)
- LinuxPlanet: VMware 2.0: Virtually Magnificent(Apr 10, 2000)