Business Times (SG): Here comes a Linux handheld computer - from Ericsson Singapore and CWC
Jan 10, 2001, 14:26 (2 Talkback[s])
(Other stories by Siew Yaw Hoong)
Re-Imagining Linux Platforms to Meet the Needs of Cloud Service Providers
[ Thanks to Daniel. for this link.
"In what could be the world's first, Singapore's CWC (Centre for
Wireless Communications) and Ericsson Singapore have jointly
developed a handheld computer that runs on the Linux OS (operating
system). Called DelphiPad, it's a PDA-lookalike that comes with a
10-inch touch-screen, weighs 1.3 kg, and is set to debut
commercially in Q3 this year at below US$1,000."
"The device runs on a National Semiconductor Geode 200 MHz
processor, and comes with 64 MB RAM, 16 MB flash memory and 256 KB
ROM (read-only memory). Text input is done via a virtual keyboard
or the handwriting recognition function. It also comes with
headphone and microphone jacks, a speaker, and a rechargeable
battery that lasts four hours."
"Why not use Windows? "Besides the costly licensing fee that you
have to pay to Microsoft, there are also hidden costs, such as the
purchase of Windows development environment," he said. "We feel
DelphiPad will have greater potential using an open-source OS. We
decided at the first project meeting -- in November 1998 -- that
we'd use Linux."
- ZDNet UK: SuSE Linux goes handheld(Jan 04, 2001)
- AllLinuxDevices: Editor's Note: Which Way For Handhelds? Microsoft's Newly Doubled Market Share
(Nov 29, 2000)
- MSNBC: Linux inside - PC, laptops, handhelds and even Webcams based on open software(Nov 16, 2000)
- AllLinuxDevices: COMDEX Notes, Part One: Hands on with Linux Handhelds
(Nov 14, 2000)
- AllLinuxDevices: Mozilla for Nano-X Launched, Enabling Mozilla for Linux Handhelds and Set-tops.
(Oct 18, 2000)
- AllLinuxDevices: TrollTech's Qt/Embedded: "Consumer-oriented finish" for Handheld Linux(Sep 25, 2000)
- allNetDevices: Low-cost Linux Handheld Unveiled(Aug 22, 2000)
- ZDNet: Opening handhelds(Jul 03, 2000)
- eWeek: Handheld makers are grasping for Linux(Jun 23, 2000)
- ZDNet UK: [Lernout & Hauspie] Net handhelds speak out(May 29, 2000)
- allNetDevices: Samsung's Linux Handheld Details Emerge(Mar 02, 2000)
- PC World: Handheld Linux Device Debuts(Feb 28, 2000)