Linux.com: Interface Enhancement; Themes.org Staff Q&A
Jan 15, 2001, 17:30 (0 Talkback[s])
(Other stories by Jessica Sheffield)
Re-Imagining Linux Platforms to Meet the Needs of Cloud Service Providers
"Linux.com Live! recently had the privilege of speaking with
the staff of Themes.org about the role of theming and interface
enhancement in the future of Linux. With the release of kernel
2.4 and its emphasis on improving the end user's system, the role
of the desktop in Linux is more important than ever."
"Linux.com: What will Themes.org be doing in the future
to improve the user experience?
Greg replied, "Themes.org has quite a bit up its sleeve as far
as making it easier to enhance your interface. There's going to be
a lot of cross theme integration - so you can get your GTK,
Sawfish, Mozilla and xmms themes all at once. You'll also be able
to pick the themes apart and get just the pieces you want. And,
there'll be some things we hope will shake up the interface
community - but more about those later."
"Linux.com: What would your ideal window manager
Most of the staffers were loyal to their preferred window
manager. moss said, "Everything that e does!", while ishamael
noted, "Afterstep already does everything I want it to." Greg
wanted something to "run like blackbox but be super-theme-able."
Xerithane informed him, "that's icewm," while ishamael disagreed,
saying, "Nah, that's AS." Of course, there are always improvements
to be made to the window managers. moss decided he wanted to "be
able to move windows with my mind - no mouse." The group thought
that was funny until Xerithane pointed out that this is already
happening at www.biocontrol.com - and that it's Linux supported,
- IT-Director: Desktop Wars; KDE vs. GNOME ...vs. Windows vs. OS/2 vs. Mac OS(Jan 12, 2001)
- Nando Times: Has the 'desktop' metaphor outlived its usefulness?(Jan 09, 2001)
- Themes.org: Themes Removed at Apple's Request(Dec 14, 2000)
- Fox News: Linux with Themes: A Good-Looking Geek Magnet(Oct 20, 2000)
- KDE.org: On Themes and Icons [in KDE 2.0](Jul 26, 2000)
- Geeks404.com: Six Ways to a Cool Linux Look - Customizing Your Desktop and Installing Themes(Jun 20, 2000)
- LinuxPR: TUCOWS Linux Announces UNIX Themes!
(May 13, 2000)
- Themes.org: An Interview with Youngjin Hahn - Artwiz(Apr 25, 2000)
- Linux.com: Themes(Nov 28, 1999)
- GraphicsMuse: Interview with Greg Sanders, themes.org site manager(Nov 10, 1999)