Byte.com: Linux In The Post Dot-Com Era - Will The Red Hat Heresy Continue?
Jan 16, 2001, 09:30 (20 Talkback[s])
(Other stories by Tom Henderson)
Re-Imagining Linux Platforms to Meet the Needs of Cloud Service Providers
"A year ago, it all looked so good."
"The purportedly communist Linux and open source model was
viciously capitalized by Wall Street. Paper fortunes weremade,
including record breaking Nasdaq IPO increases. Armies of press
corps bored over never-ending Microsoft news and supposed Pentium
breakthroughs took up the Linux anthem, occasionally just to look
smart. Some were."
"Now, it's a new millennium for many. Fortunes shrank. Windows
2000 arrived and to everyone's surprise, it hardly ever blows up,
mercifully. Windows NT 5 (as it was once known, and I have the
T-shirt to prove it) hasn't taken the world by storm, and its price
seems to climb with each new Microsoft DOJ appeal. Today, there is
a Windows 2000 server license fee, a client-access license fee, and
soon there'll likely be a Kerberos ticket charge. Perhaps we'll
have to go to the TicketMaster website for access."
- CNET News.com: Embedded Linux company Lineo scraps IPO plans(Jan 12, 2001)
- ZDNet/WSJ: SEC probes IPO of VA Linux(Jan 08, 2001)
- LWN: An analysis of Turbolinux's IPO filing(Oct 31, 2000)
- Upside: A year after the Linux IPOs(Jul 26, 2000)
- Reuters: Linux Internet site Andover.Net seeks $49.6 mln IPO(Sep 16, 1999)
- CNET News.com: Red Hat makes one billionaire, two could follow(Sep 08, 1999)
- Red Herring: ICG and Red Hat led August IPOs(Sep 03, 1999)
- CNET News.com: Linuxcare is an oasis of calm amid the Linux frenzy(Sep 02, 1999)
- CRN: Linux Lovefest On Wall Street(Aug 20, 1999)
- Reuters: Red Hat shares soar into "nosebleed territory"(Aug 13, 1999)
- Business Week: Red Hat Rides Roughshod to IPO Fame(Aug 13, 1999)
- CNET News.com: Late [Red Hat] IPO change left many red-faced(Aug 12, 1999)
- E-Commerce Times: Red Hat's IPO Becomes an Acid Test for Linux(Aug 10, 1999)