LinuxToday.com.au: Nutty about Kernel Numbers
Jan 19, 2001, 17:38 (0 Talkback[s])
(Other stories by Bill Bennett)
How to Help Your Business Become an AI Early Adopter
"It should come as no surprise that the mainstream press and the
non-Linux specific IT media treated the recent arrival of the 2.4
kernel as a big news event. After all, they've been trained since
birth in Pavlovian fashion to jump up and down in excitement
ratchets up a version number by one tenth of a unit."
"It's not too much of an oversimplification to say that 2.4 is
pretty much the same as 2.4beta, only with fewer bugs. Likewise
2.4.1 will have even fewer bugs and maybe an extra feature or two.
Yes, there is the fact that Linus has given the nod to the current
code - which is not something that should be ignored. But take it
from me; most of the betas that were floating around were
considerably more stable than certain OS products you can buy."
"The big difference between closed source versioning and
open source versioning is philosophical. In reality most software
is a work in progress. Open source developers admit this up front.
Close source developers, while not actually hiding the information,
prefer not to draw anyone's attention to it."
- Linus Torvalds: Linux 2.4.1-pre8 changelog(Jan 18, 2001)
- NewsForge: 2.4 and 'the Red Hat operating system'
(Jan 17, 2001)
- eWeek: Linux true to form; eWeek Labs finds 2.4's eventual advantages(Jan 16, 2001)
- Linux kernel 2.4.1-pre7 includes ReiserFS support(Jan 16, 2001)
- Canada Computes: It's a 2.4 World(Jan 15, 2001)
- InfoWorld: Linux 2.4 breaks the enterprise barrier(Jan 15, 2001)
- Alan Cox: Linux kernel 2.4.0-ac9(Jan 14, 2001)
- ZDNet: Linux 2.4 unmasked(Jan 13, 2001)
- ZDNet UK: Firms weigh up Linux 2.4(Jan 12, 2001)
- IT-Analysis: The Man from Oracle, He Say "Yes" to Linux 2.4 Kernel(Jan 12, 2001)
- Enterprise Linux Magazine: Linux Kernel 2.4.0 Released - Opening Doors to the Enterprise(Jan 10, 2001)
- IT-Director: Enterprise Linux; 2.4 kernel plus IBM backing leave little doubt(Jan 09, 2001)
- Smart Partner: Linux 2.4 Businesses' Enterprising Plans(Jan 09, 2001)
- ZDNet: Version 2.5: What's next for Linux(Jan 03, 2001)