The Oregonian: Groundbreaking location - Linux Test Lab Opens in Beaverton, OR
Jan 24, 2001, 18:08 (1 Talkback[s])
(Other stories by Sickinger)
Desktop-as-a-Service Designed for Any Cloud ? Nutanix Frame
[ Thanks to llywrch for this link.
"The Open Source Development Lab will open today in a business
park next to IBM's Beaverton campus. Sponsors of the lab, who
originally aimed to open it before the end of 2000, opted against
establishing the lab at Portland State University in light of high
costs to upgrade electrical supply there."
"Intel, for one, is looking to make Linux a mainstay on its
64-bit Itanium processor... "This is rockin' and rollin'," said
Will Swope, vice president of Intel's solutions enabling group. "We
already have projects under way, and the industry is continuing to
give us good support."
"Tim Witham, formerly Intel's Linux program manager, will become
the lab's executive director, responsible for implementing policy,
making funding decisions and helping to select projects. Witham
stressed that the lab sponsors' were committed to maintaining the
lab's independence, with all project being established according to
the open source model."
"Linus Torvalds, the Finnish programmer who originally
created Linux, said in an e-mail response to questions that he
had little concern that the lab's commercial sponsors would
hijack the future direction of Linux development, a worry that many
open-source programmers have expressed. "The labs will
probably have resources that many others don't have, which is
good," Torvalds said. "Will they take over? No. They'll have their
projects, and they'll contribute their way. Will it change Linux?
Sure. That's the whole point, I'd hope."
- Enterprise Linux Today: Open Source Lab Opens for Business; Open Source Testing to Get Major Boost(Jan 24, 2001)
- eWeek: Open Source Lab to open this week(Jan 23, 2001)
- AS400Network: Linux Lab (OSDL) to Launch at Month's End in Portland(Jan 12, 2001)
- ComputerWorld: Work Set to Start This Month on Open-Source Lab (OSDL)(Dec 05, 2000)
- ComputerWorld: Open-source development lab (OSDL) progressing in Oregon(Nov 21, 2000)
- NetworkWorld: Testing lab [OSDL] to give open-source code an enterprise workout(Oct 01, 2000)
- TechRepublic/Gartner: OSDL seeks a faster track to Linux development(Sep 19, 2000)
- LinuxWorld: The unsung hero of OSDL(Sep 18, 2000)
- Upside: A lab of one's own (OSDL)(Sep 02, 2000)
- Smart Partner: Will Linux Group Burn Sun? - The OSDL may have a hidden agenda against Solaris(Sep 01, 2000)
- IT-Analysis: Cabal to develop SMP Linux lab (OSDL) in Portland Oregon(Aug 31, 2000)
- Wired: Joining Forces at New Linux Lab (OSDL)
(Aug 30, 2000)
- LinuxPR: Industry Leaders HP, INTEL, IBM, and NEC Forming Open Source Development Lab (OSDL)(Aug 30, 2000)