NewsForge: LinuxWorld journal: Reporter charting a course for bounty
Feb 01, 2001, 19:52 (0 Talkback[s])
(Other stories by Tina Gasperson)
Desktop-as-a-Service Designed for Any Cloud ? Nutanix Frame
"Was it a not-so-subtle dig or just honest helpfulness that
the media registration booth was handing out free copies of "Linux
for Dummies" to each journalist requesting a badge? ... Come
to find out that they were giving the Linux for Dummies books to
everyone. A life-size, living Dummies guy with a huge triangular
head was walking around the show floor, shaking hands and flirting
with women. I asked the Dummies guy if he was like, the king of the
dummies, or if he was supposed to be really smart and full of
answers. He had no comment."
"A couple of aisles over, I found the source of the Chuckie
horns. Two nice-looking women, dressed in red leotards and sporting
red, pointy tails, were passing out the horns with the blinking
lights to a throng of eager young men. ... The "Daemon girls," as
they are known, pose for pictures with show visitors and hand out
not only the popular headbands, but the long, pointy tails as well.
As I walked away from the Daemon girls, a troop of guys with the
Chuckie horns approached. "Did you pose for a picture with one of
the models?" I asked, and was answered with a chorus of yesses.
"One of them promised to give me some tail," said a young man.
"That's why I'm coming back."
"IBM had several inflatable Tux chairs in its booth which looked
comfortable enough, but who wants to sit in a penguin's lap,
especially when you know that silly Tux grin is right behind your
head, probably laughing at your bad breath or struggling under your
weight? Nevertheless, young slim hackers sprawled on the chairs,
staring at their laptop screens."
- The Register: Big Blue eclipsed by small companies at LinuxWorld Expo(Feb 02, 2001)
- VNU Net: IBM throws more cash at Linux - Palmisano's LinuxWorld keynote(Feb 02, 2001)
- InfoWorld: Brains battle at LinuxWorld Expo's Golden Penguin Bowl(Feb 02, 2001)
- NewsForge: LinuxWorld Expo: Preview of dual-processor DDR Athlon Linux performance(Feb 01, 2001)
- eWeek: At LinuxWorld, Microsoft exec has fighting words(Feb 01, 2001)
- InfoWorld: LinuxWorld: IBM to unveil 64-bit Linux server(Feb 01, 2001)
- LinuxPR: Trolltech, IBM, and KDE To Demonstrate Voice-Control on Desktop Linux Apps at LinuxWorld(Jan 31, 2001)
- Smart Partner: LinuxWorld 2001 - The Best Is Yet To Come(Jan 31, 2001)
- LinuxWorld: Worlds collide at Linux-on-the-Hudson(Jan 31, 2001)
- CNET News.com: LinuxWorld shows software entering adulthood(Jan 31, 2001)
- LinuxWorld: What to expect at the LinuxWorld Conference & Expo - Where Linux is whatever you want it to be(Jan 30, 2001)
- SearchEnterpriseLinux: Embedded, storage and 2.4 developments to rule LinuxWorld(Jan 25, 2001)
- eWeek: HP cooking up big plans for LinuxWorld(Jan 25, 2001)
- TechRepublic/Gartner: IBM plans big investments in Linux to level playing field with Microsoft & Sun(Jan 13, 2001)