Zope Mixes Groupware Features With App Server Functionality
Feb 06, 2001, 17:11 (1 Talkback[s])
(Other stories by M.A. Dockter)
How to Help Your Business Become an AI Early Adopter
"Zope's basic interface is like that of a simple file manager.
Most people are accustomed to the GUI file managers that have been
around with MacOS as well as DOS and Windows. On top of this
splendid file manager interface, Zope is Web-based. This leads to
more usability, as most users get scared even thinking about
command-line applications, or even hard-to-use GUI applications.
With a Web interface, users tend to feel like they already know
what's going on, as it seems like they are simply 'surfing the
"Zope not only breaks ranks with groupware servers by being free
to use, it also flees from the norm in terms of setup. While most
large Web-based applications require three layers, the Web server,
the app server, and the database server, Zope is used in a single
system. This makes management, as well as initial cost, much
less-expensive because there is only one machine to deal with, not
a set of three different machines to micro-manage and control."
"Above all these attributes, however, is Zope's compatibility.
It works with pretty much all of the common protocols including
SQL, ODBC, XML, DOM, FTP, HTTP, FastCGI, XML-RPC, and SOAP. Zope
can work on almost any client browser, as well as systems ranging
from 32-bit Windows (95, 98, NT, and 2000), to Unix, Linux, BSD
Variants, and the lesser-known Sparc Solaris."
- Software Development Times: And Then Came Zope...(Feb 05, 2001)
- Apache Today: Zope 2.3.0 final released(Jan 28, 2001)
- Zope Weekly News for January 19th 2001(Jan 19, 2001)
- Apache Today: Zope 2.3.0 beta 1 released(Jan 17, 2001)
- Enterprise Linux Today: Digital Creations, bayMountain Tout Open Source Enterprise-Level Clustering(Jan 16, 2001)
- Apache Today: Zope 2.2.5 has been released(Jan 09, 2001)
- Zope 2.2.5 b1 released(Dec 27, 2000)
- Digital Creations Closes $12 Million Funding Round
(Nov 13, 2000)
- LinuxPR: Digital Creations and Kaivo Expand Partnership(Sep 19, 2000)
- Pelletier/Latteier: Early Draft of O'Reilly Zope Book(Sep 12, 2000)
- Linux Journal: At the Forge: Content Management(Aug 27, 2000)