Caldera To Users: "Caldera is as committed to Linux as it has ever been."
Feb 26, 2001, 21:07 (3 Talkback[s])
(Other stories by Porter Olsen)
Desktop-as-a-Service Designed for Any Cloud ? Nutanix Frame
Subject: Caldera's Commitment to Linx
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 12:54:19 -0700
From: Porter Olsen <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Several comments have been made on this list regarding Caldera's
commitment to Linux. These comments have mostly stemmed from a recent
article and certain statements made by one anonymous Caldera
employee. Unfortunately, these statements may have led some to believe
that Caldera's decision to stop selling it's products through retail
channels means that Caldera is no longer going to be selling Linux
products at all. Nothing could be farther from the truth. Caldera is
as committed to Linux as it has ever been. To that end, please use
the statement below as Caldera's official position.
"Caldera Systems assures the Linux community that we are not pulling
out of Linux - more specifically that our OpenLinux workstation and
server products will continue. What will change is where we focus our
sales efforts. Caldera's focus has always been "Linux for business."
With the pending acquisition of the Professional Services and Server
Software divisions of The Santa Cruz Operation (SCO) we will unify
UNIX and Linux for business. This business focus means selling our
products through the channel and OEMs. In fact, it's an important
reason why we view the SCO acquisition as strategic. SCO has a strong
presence in the channel. When the acquisition is complete we will
have a combined Linux and UNIX channel of over 22,000 resellers.
At this time we are expending significant resources developing
OpenLinux workstation and server solutions that incorporate the 2.4
kernel. Given our business focus, the 2.4 kernel integrations in our
workstation and server solutions will continue to demonstrate our
commitment to stability, ease-of-use and manageability.
Just as we did with the recently released Caldera Volution, there will
be open beta periods for our OpenLinux workstation and server
products. To download the products during open beta periods please
visit http://www.calderasystems.com/products/beta/. Our
server product is in closed beta at this time. Both products will be
available through the channel and OEMs. In addition, the workstation
will be available for purchase from the Caldera Systems Web site at
Director of Corporate Communication
Caldera Systems, Inc.
- LinuxPlanet: .comment: Not Forking But Branching(Feb 22, 2001)
- Caldera Refocuses Products, Merges UnixWare and Linux(Feb 16, 2001)
- Enterprise Linux Today: Caldera's SCO Buy Now Includes OpenServer Technology(Feb 09, 2001)
- TechWeb: Caldera's Unix Buy: Step One In Plan To Move SCO UnixWare Customers To Linux(Feb 09, 2001)
- Smart Partner: Another Linux (Ransom) Love Feast; Caldera's Plans for Linux and SCO Unixware(Feb 09, 2001)
- Enterprise Linux Today: Caldera Ships Volution, First Comprehensive Linux Systems Management Tool(Jan 17, 2001)
- Enterprise Linux Today: Caldera Systems Reports Fourth Quarter and Fiscal 2000 Results(Dec 07, 2000)
- Network Computing: Caldera Edges Linux Closer To Enterprise With Volution(Dec 06, 2000)