FreeOS.com: Not just on your desktop; Linux advances on devices
Feb 27, 2001, 16:17 (3 Talkback[s])
(Other stories by Vans Information)
Desktop-as-a-Service Designed for Any Cloud ? Nutanix Frame
"Thought the next big target for Linux was the desktop?
Well, think again. Look around and you're going to see some really
neat devices that showcase the flexibility of Linux. Linux now
powers the Indrema game console and also boots up on a wrist
"The computer gaming industry is a multi-billion dollar one with
the likes of Sony, Nintendo, Sega and Microsoft. Competing with
them is a small company called Indrema promoting its new video game
console powered by Linux. What makes Indrema unique is the fact
that when launched this spring, Indrema L600 will be the first
Linux-based game console. The fact that such a product is powered
by Linux holds big promises for open source operating systems,
which is what Linux is. Bearing futuristic looks and being promoted
as the "all in one entertainment system", L600 has been designed by
a team led by John Gildred, the CEO. The company cites flexibility,
reliability and economy as the three main reasons as to why it has
opted for Linux as the operating system."
"What is 0.48 inches thick, weighs 1.5 ounces and runs Linux?
Yes, you have it right, it's a Linux-powered Wristwatch. IBM's R J
Watson Research Center has developed this wonder device in
question. So on one hand, IBM is considering using Linux for the
Blue Gene supercomputer, the development of such a miniaturized
prototype reiterates IBM's commitment of making Linux scaleable in
both directions: that at the macro as well as the micro level.
According to IBM, this prototype is the smallest self-contained
device powered by Linux."
- AllLinuxDevices: Indre... what??!!! [an Indrema backgrounder]
(Jan 20, 2001)
- GameSpy: Indrema: Developer Diary 2 [CEO John Gildred writes about Indrema development issues]
(Nov 30, 2000)
- GamePro: Indrema: The Next Big Thing?
(Nov 28, 2000)
- AllLinuxDevices: Editor's Note: Leave Your Politics at the Door with the Indrema
(Nov 09, 2000)
- LinuxGames.com: Indrema Press Conference Summary(Nov 09, 2000)
- NewsForge: Game developers can't wait to start working on Indrema(Nov 09, 2000)
- AllLinuxDevices: Indrema Dev Net Launches, CEO Clarifies Certification and Copy Protection Plans
(Nov 07, 2000)
- AllLinuxDevices: Indrema & CollabNet Launch Open Source Video Game Development Net & Resource Center(Nov 07, 2000)
- LinuxDevices.com: An interview with IBM's Linux Wrist Watch project leader(Aug 09, 2000)
- VNU Net: IBM researchers develop Linux wristwatch(Aug 09, 2000)
- AllLinuxDevices: Fact Sheet: IBM's Linux Wrist Watch(Aug 07, 2000)
- TechWeb/Reuters: IBM Researchers Create Linux-Based Wristwatch(Aug 07, 2000)
- Linux Journal: A GNU/Linux Wristwatch Videophone(Jul 02, 2000)