Linux Journal: The OpenMail Showdown: Is Bruce Perens Just a Pretty Face?
Mar 04, 2001, 13:51 (16 Talkback[s])
(Other stories by Don Marti)
How to Help Your Business Become an AI Early Adopter
"Who has more juice at Hewlett-Packard? Bruce Perens or the
Microsoft quislings? It's time to find out. HP just discontinued
its proprietary mail and calendaring server, OpenMail, which was
the only non-Microsoft server compatible with Microsoft Outlook's
popular calendar features."
"Jeremy Allison, a lead Samba developer and the strangely
cool-headed man in the middle between free software and proprietary
protocols, is concerned. "Once Microsoft Exchange is within an
organization, Microsoft domain controller services are not far
behind," he wrote in an open letter to free software developers and
journalists today. "I've seen Microsoft Exchange in action as a
wedge to drive Microsoft products too often to lie down and let
"Since HP won't support OpenMail as a proprietary product any
more, the responsible thing to do for their customers would be to
release it under a free license, to allow someone else to support
those customers if HP won't. And this is the only sane course for
HP too. Can you imagine an HP sales person trying to sell another
software package, right after HP stranded the OpenMail customers?
"Honestly, we won't cancel this one right after you invest lots of
time in implementation and training. You've got to believe us!"
Right, sure. No sale."
"And OpenMail could help the so-far slow advance of Linux on the
desktop, Jeremy says."
- ComputerWorld: HP to end OpenMail with next version(Mar 01, 2001)
- Enterprise Linux Today: HP and Sprint PCS to Pitch Openmail to Business; Linux Likely to Benefit(Dec 20, 2000)
- Upside: Last of the Independents [Bruce Perens at HP](Dec 06, 2000)
- CNET News.com: HP hires Linux luminary Bruce Perens(Dec 05, 2000)
- LinuxPR: Linuxcare Develops OpenMail Configuration Wizard for Faster, Easier Installation(Aug 16, 2000)
- LinuxPR: HP's OpenMail for Linux Sees Tremendous User-base Increase
(Aug 07, 2000)
- LinuxPR: AT&T Outsources With OpenMail
(Aug 02, 2000)
- BW: HP Announces WAP Interface for OpenMail Business Messaging and Collaboration Solution(May 04, 2000)
- LinuxPR: OpenMail on Linux: Product Availability, Discounts, and Free Options(Oct 05, 1999)
- BW: HP's OpenMail 6.0 Named Best of Show At LinuxWorld Conference and Expo(Aug 13, 1999)
- TRANSLATION: OpenMail at Linux World: Q&A(Mar 05, 1999)