Smart Partner: Linux : who's left standing?
Mar 06, 2001, 12:44 (44 Talkback[s])
(Other stories by Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols)
Desktop-as-a-Service Designed for Any Cloud ? Nutanix Frame
"The weaker Linux players won't consolidate. Instead, they'll
"Last Aug. 14, I predicted in our cover story "Linux Slugfest"
that Caldera and Red Hat would be the only major Linux distributors
left standing (see Linux SlugFest). Anyone still want a piece of
that bet? I didn"t think so."
"Since then, SuSE has nearly abandoned the North American
business market. There will still be an English language version,
but with its U.S. cutbacks, you can forget about getting the
support you need to place SuSE Linux in businesses."
"Also, second-tier Linux firms appear to be in a heap of
trouble. Stormix Technologies, for example, has both a firewall
Linux distribution and another that's been customized for ISPs and
ASPs. The Vancouver, British Columbia, company made the right moves
in deals with resellers and integrators like ION Computer Systems
and NetStation. Nevertheless, Stormix ran out of cash and has filed
for bankruptcy. Corel is trying to get out of the Linux
distribution business, period."
- US SuSe Division Makes Top-Level Changes(Feb 28, 2001)
- PR: SuSE's Releases Official Statement on US Layoffs(Feb 09, 2001)
- The Register: Corel Linux sale 'best thing' for OS, claims exec(Feb 06, 2001)
- Canada Computes: Linux - Business Unusual? Stormix Folding?(Feb 06, 2001)
- Corel Unveils New Corporate Strategy(Jan 25, 2001)
- TheDeal.com: Corel to sell off Linux assets(Jan 25, 2001)
- osOpinion: Time for Linux Soldiers to Join Forces(Jan 23, 2001)
- South China Morning Post: TurboLinux chief predicts death without consolidation(Dec 12, 2000)
- CNET News.com: Linux leader says standard version will emerge(Oct 07, 2000)
- Smart Partner: Linux [Distro] SlugFest(Aug 22, 2000)
- VNU Net: The end of the line for Unix? [SCO/Caldera](Aug 04, 2000)
- ZDNet: The Linux dating game; Who will get with whom in the coming round of consolidation?(May 31, 2000)