CNET News.com: Sun aims at peer-to-peer search with acquisition
Mar 07, 2001, 21:39 (4 Talkback[s])
(Other stories by John Borland)
Desktop-as-a-Service Designed for Any Cloud ? Nutanix Frame
"Sun Microsystems gave a first indication Tuesday of plans for
its new peer-to-peer initiative by buying a small start-up that is
building a new kind of search engine."
"Sun gave the world an early glimpse of its new "Jxta"
(pronounced Jux-ta) program last month, calling for help from the
open-source community. Jxta, although still in the early stages, is
designed to be a standard, open technology platform on which other
peer-to-peer services can run."
"As a possible foundation for a wide array of Net-based services
from Sun as well as other companies, the Jxta initiative was seen
as potential competition for Microsoft's proprietary .Net Web
services plans. Sun chief scientist Bill Joy said last month that
Sun plans its own set of peer-to-peer services and wants the
open-source software in place to make them possible."
- Enterprise Linux Today: O'Reilly Network Launches Independent Java Web Site(Feb 28, 2001)
- CNET News.com: Sun enlists peer-to-peer in war against Microsoft(Feb 16, 2001)
- The Register: Microsoft preps Napster clone(Feb 15, 2001)
- InfoWorld: Red Hat CTO to showcase mammoth Linux-based peer-to-peer network(Feb 14, 2001)
- LinuxPR: openCOLA Takes Peer-To-Peer Issues Global at DDMI
(Nov 29, 2000)
- O'Reilly Network: Peer-to-Peer (P2P) Directory(Oct 28, 2000)
- O'Reilly Network: How Ray Ozzie Got His Groove Back Creating Peer-to-Peer Collaboration Software(Oct 24, 2000)
- Advogato: Advogato's Number: Peer to Peer
(Oct 16, 2000)
- O'Reilly Network: Tim O'Reilly : How the Peer-to-Peer Working Group Ought to Be Organized(Oct 14, 2000)
- O'Reilly Network: Peer-to-Peer Makes the Internet Interesting Again(Sep 24, 2000)