Linux.com: Rob "lilo" Levin on IRC, the Open Projects Network, and Everything
Mar 08, 2001, 21:12 (0 Talkback[s])
(Other stories by Jessica Sheffield)
Desktop-as-a-Service Designed for Any Cloud ? Nutanix Frame
"Linux.com recently had the privilege of speaking with Rob
"lilo" Levin, founder of the Open Projects Network. OPN is home to,
among others, irc.linux.com. Rob was gracious enough to answer all
of our questions in depth, even the ones regarding food choices.
OPN is doing some fantastic work for the community, and we
recommend checking out its homepage or logging on to
irc.openprojects.net to find out how you can help...."
"Tell us a little about your vision for OPN."
"Rob: My initial vision for OPN was to provide a venue for
projects to do interactive project coordination and support. I
wanted a place for newbies to grow into the community, and pick up
values that would serve them in good stead in their community
interactions, helping to improve the way the community as a whole
interacted. I wanted a place where developers could find each other
without too much difficulty, and establish better lines of
communications between projects. I guess in some sense I wanted a
"City on the Hill", where the best values of the community would be
practiced and improved on a daily basis."
"In the last few years, the community has fragmented a bit, but
I've never viewed "open source" and "free software" people as two
separate communities. I don't think we can afford to be...."
- LinuxPR: Open Projects Net expands service to free software community
(Mar 04, 2001)
- Advogato: OPN status update, assistance request(Mar 03, 2001)
- Linux.com: Pushing the Limits of IRC(Jan 23, 2001)
- Linux.com: Introduction to IRC(Dec 24, 2000)
- Advogato.org: Open Projects Net: Denial of Service Attacks(Nov 08, 2000)
- Canada Computes: XChat: Full-Featured IRC Client for X(Sep 24, 2000)
- BSD Today: IRC Client Review(Jul 04, 2000)
- Linuxnewbie.org: BitchX IRC Client NHF(Jan 16, 2000)
- Bleeding Edge Magazine: Chatting with Linux(Apr 19, 1999)