Progeny Debian RC1 Ready for Download
Mar 17, 2001, 00:52 (13 Talkback[s])
How to Help Your Business Become an AI Early Adopter
Indianapolis, March 16, 2001- Progeny Linux
Systems announces that Release Candidate 1 of Progeny Debian is now
available for download. Progeny Debian is based on woody, the
current testing version of Debian, and made by a team of leading
"RC1 is the final form for Progeny Debian's first edition,"
explains Ian Murdock, president and CEO of Progeny Linux Systems
and the founder of the Debian project. "We expect any changes after
RC1 to be either bug-fixes or cosmetic improvements."
Features of RC1 include:
- A graphical installer.
- Graphical and command line tools for configuration.
- A GNOME interface for debconf.
- Packaged sets for easier package management.
- Improved hardware detection and USB support.
- Automatic detection of new hardware.
- Optional migration to GRUB.
- Automated multiple installations.
Software included in RC1 includes:
- Kernel 2.2.18 (2.4 optional)
- XFree 86 4.0.2.
- glibc 2.2.
- Netscape 4.76 and Mozilla 0.7.
- GNU parted
- Open SSH.
- GRUB 0.5.96.1
Progeny Debian First Edition is scheduled for the end of March.
The boxed version of the product is planned for mid-April, and will
include a hardcopy manual, free installation support, and a trial
subscription to Progeny's network services. Technical support and
network services will also be available for separate purchase.
For more information about Progeny Debian, visit www.progeny.com. More details will be
posted as they become available.
LinuxPlanet: DistributionWatch Review: Progeny Linux beta 2(Jan