FreeDevelopers.Net: "The Community is the Company"
Mar 20, 2001, 20:40 (0 Talkback[s])
(Other stories by Ross Moore)
How to Help Your Business Become an AI Early Adopter
"The major innovation of the FreeDevelopers structure is that it
inverts the traditional developer-marketer axis, so that the
community of software developers controls the marketers. The
proprietary structure has it reversed -- the corporate marketers
have been controlling the developers."
"A proprietary structure fundamentally depends upon the source
code being secret, because the marketers have no natural power.
Marketers gain power over the developers by using the financial
markets to pay them to close their code, thereby causing developer
community fragmentation, division and subjugation. It has nothing
whatsoever to do with better code or more efficient
"The FreeDevelopers structure corrects that malformation, by
aligning financial power with the natural power of developers. In
so doing it frees the code, and therefore the developers."
- Linux Weekly News for February 22, 2001(Feb 22, 2001)
- Tony Stanco: Why FreeDevelopers.Net Used The Declaration Of Independence As Its Model(Feb 22, 2001)
- FreeDevelopers.net: The Declaration of Software Freedom(Feb 15, 2001)
- LinuxPR: RMS Becomes CEO of FreeDevelopers.net
(Jan 09, 2001)
- Linux Weekly News for November 9, 2000(Nov 09, 2000)
- LinuxPR: RMS and GNU endorse FreeDevelopers.net
(Nov 06, 2000)
- LinuxPR: FreeDevelopers.net -- A company of free developers, by free developers, for a free world(Oct 03, 2000)