Mac OS X vs. Linux: Could Apple Take a Bite Out of the Penguin?
Apr 05, 2001, 16:23 (58 Talkback[s])
(Other stories by Chuck Toporek)
Desktop-as-a-Service Designed for Any Cloud ? Nutanix Frame
[ Thanks to S.Ramaswamy for this link.
"On March 24, Apple Computer, Inc. released its next-generation
operating system, Mac OS X (the "X" is pronounced as "ten," for the
version number of the operating system) to Mac addicts around the
world. While this isn't such a big deal to some, others view it as
a new beginning that could squash all thoughts of a desktop Linux
for the general public. "
"What's this, "Apple out-maneuvering Linux?" you say? Well,
maybe not as a server platform for the immediate future, but just
think about this for a second: Would it be possible for Apple to
deflate the hopes and dreams of developers worldwide of bringing
Linux to the desktop? The short answer to this is yes, but it's
more complicated than that."
"Aside from the fact that an apple is a fruit and a penguin is a
flightless waterfowl, there used to be a big difference between the
Apple Macintosh operating system and Linux. Apple had a nice GUI,
Linux did not. Linux had a command line, Mac OS did not. Linux is a
multitasking OS that supports multiple processors, Mac OS is not.
Linux runs on just about anything these days, and the Mac OS is
limited to running on, well, Apple equipment. Linux is free (well,
sort of, depending on your method of install), and Mac OS X will
set you back $129."
- Upside.com: Is Mac OS X half-baked?(Mar 26, 2001)
- MacAddict.com: Linux promises, Apple delivers(Mar 23, 2001)
- osOpinion: Raskin on 'Raskin on OS X'(Feb 09, 2001)
- osOpinion: Mac Creator Raskin Comes Down Hard on OS X(Feb 01, 2001)
- O'Reilly Network: Mac OS X Opens Apple to a New Audience(Jan 14, 2001)
- Nando Times: Has the 'desktop' metaphor outlived its usefulness?(Jan 10, 2001)
- MacWeek: One OS or two?; resistance to OS X(Jan 05, 2001)
- Linux Journal: Mac OS X: First Impressions(Dec 10, 2000)
- ZDNet: BSD to leapfrog Linux?(Nov 30, 2000)
- ZDNet: Mac OS X & Darwin: All sizzle, little steak(Nov 23, 2000)
- The Register: Apple updates Darwin, asks for x86 work(Nov 18, 2000)
- Salon: Open-sourcing the Apple; Mac OS X(Nov 18, 2000)
- MacWeek: Connecting OS X to Unix(Nov 05, 2000)
- UnixRevew.com: MacWeek Says UNIX Is Not an Operating System(Oct 20, 2000)