osOpinion: Not Your Grandma's Desktop
Oct 18, 2001, 13:59 (43 Talkback[s])
(Other stories by Keith F. Stark)
Desktop-as-a-Service Designed for Any Cloud ? Nutanix Frame
[ Thanks to Kelly
McNeill for this link. ]
"Linux on the desktop will not be ready until "my
grandmother can use it." The phrase invariably shows up on both
sides of the desktop war.
Windows proponents present it as proof that the Linux desktop is
dead. The Linux evangelist's retaliation is his sweet, elderly
grandmother. She uses Linux. She also frags him relentlessly in
Quake and balances her checkbook with GnuCash.
Are the Linux desktop environment projects -- as in KDE and
GNOME -- really after Grandma? Is Grandma the lowest common
denominator that needs to be satisfied?
Sorry Grandma, I don't mean that like it sounds."
- osOpinion: Linux Reaches for Success on the Desktop(Oct 18, 2001)
- LinuxPlanet: .comment: The Plateau(Oct 20, 2001)
- ScotFinnie.com: Build a Better User Experience ... or Get Out of the Way(Oct 05, 2001)
- ComputerUser.com: Desktop Linux serves up big savings(Sep 22, 2001)
- Mojolin: Linux on the Desktop -- missing the mark(Sep 16, 2001)
- CRN: Linux's Desktop Dilemma(Sep 06, 2001)
- InfoWorld: Go Linux Desktop Now(Aug 21, 2001)
- LinuxWorld/IDG: Does Linux have a future on the desktop?
(Aug 21, 2001)
- ZDNet: Caldera CEO: Challenge of the desktop(Aug 18, 2001)
- ComputerWorld: Is Linux ready for the corporate desktop? (Miguel de Icaza) (Aug 16, 2001)
- Heise Online: And What Do You Do With Linux?(Aug 15, 2001)