Linux Today: Linux News On Internet Time.

Linux to Grow 278% in Embedded/Mobile/Real-Time Apps

Sep 05, 2007, 14:30 (0 Talkback[s])

"Linux use in 'next' embedded, mobile, and real-time projects will grow 278 percent over that in 'previous' projects, suggests a recent survey by Venture Development Corp. (VDC). Meanwhile, commercial RTOSes (real-time operating systems) are holding steady, gaining customers from do-it-yourself OS users, but losing them just as fast to Linux, the analyst firm reports.

"VDC's finding, entitled 'In one door, and out the other,' is based on a survey of about 220 users of commercial RTOSes. Some 73.6 percent reported having used a commercial RTOS in their previous project (see first chart, below). Of the remaining 26.4 percent, 11.4 percent reported previously having worked on a project involving no formal OS at all, while another 4.5 percent reported previously having used an in-house-developed, proprietary OS..."

Complete Story

Related Stories: