Media Companies Help Promote OLPC Laptop Project
Nov 18, 2008, 15:05 (0 Talkback[s])
(Other stories by Steve Lohr)
Desktop-as-a-Service Designed for Any Cloud ? Nutanix Frame
"An additional 500,000 of these XO laptops are in transit or
being built, and should be in use by early next year, said Nicholas
Negroponte, chairman of the education and computing project.
"The marketing campaign seeks to sharply increase those numbers.
Television time, billboard space and magazine pages are being
donated by media companies, including the News Corporation, CBS and
"The goal, Mr. Negroponte says, is greatly increasing the
donation program, "Give a Laptop. Get a Laptop. Change the World."
For $399, a person can donate an XO laptop and also receive one. Or
donors can simply donate $199, to give a child a laptop, at
"The advertising time is donated, and the spots are expected to
- OLPC and Windows(Nov 15, 2008)
- WFTL Bytes! for Nov 13, 2008: Linux wars with itself, children's notebooks, Marcel sits in the dark(Nov 14, 2008)
- Amazon to Sell OLPC's XO Laptop Starting Nov. 17(Nov 13, 2008)
- Can we finally realize Alan Kay's Dynabook for $100?(Nov 11, 2008)
- Sugar-Coated Fedora LiveCD Gives A Taste of the OLPC XO(Nov 08, 2008)
- Fedora 10, a "Live" Solution for One Laptop Per Child.(Nov 06, 2008)