Putting Open Source to the Mom Test
Mar 06, 2009, 23:32 (1 Talkback[s])
(Other stories by Rikki Kite)
Full Text Search: The Key to Better Natural Language Queries for NoSQL in Node.js
"She decided to start with Ubuntu because it's "Linux for human
beings," and she clearly meets those requirements.
"On February 18th, Amber observes: I still think there are the
right tools for the right jobs and maybe Ubuntu and the publishing
applications aren't what I need to the job I want to do (yet:) ).
Mac and Pages just make it easy. I pick what I want to do, pick the
template and with minimal tweaking bam I have what I want and
"But wait! Amber also recognizes something that Mac and Pages
just hasn't offered her: Oh And I filed my first bug report. I am
learning:) I am so happy.
"In fact, she's convinced a friend and her son's teacher to take
Ubuntu for a spin.
"This is what makes me think that a book publisher needs to
sweep in and sign Amber up for a book deal -- she walks the novice
user through the process of installing and using Linux. No
technical background (or spouse in open source) is required. For
example, on February 19 she does a great job of explaining the bug
- More Linux tips every geek should know(Mar 06, 2009)
- Netbooks: Not Designed for Developing World Children(Mar 06, 2009)
- The command-line phrasebook(Mar 05, 2009)
- Mommy, I found it! -- 15 Practical Linux Find Command Examples(Mar 04, 2009)
- Linux tips every geek should know(Mar 02, 2009)
- Editorial: A Quick Look at the New Notifications in Ubuntu 9.04(Feb 24, 2009)
- 25 Top 3D Linux Games(Feb 23, 2009)
- Getting Girls Into Tech(Feb 20, 2009)
- 5 Awesome Robot Kits to Get You Started with Robotics(Feb 13, 2009)
- Goldrush: Mystic Mine, Skill Game of a Different Sort(Feb 10, 2009)