Intel Moblin V2 Alpha 2: It Boots Even Faster!
Mar 25, 2009, 19:02 (0 Talkback[s])
(Other stories by Michael Larabel)
Re-Imagining Linux Platforms to Meet the Needs of Cloud Service Providers
[ Thanks to Michael Larabel for
this link. ]
"One of the features that excite us about Moblin V2
Alpha 2 is that it now uses kernel mode-setting. Moblin is strictly
targeted for Intel hardware, and as of the Linux 2.6.29 kernel,
mode-setting for this hardware has been pushed into the kernel.
Kernel mode-setting allows a nearly flicker-free boot experience,
fast and reliable VT switching, improved support for
suspend-and-resume, and numerous other advantages we have talked
about before. The Linux 2.6.29 kernel was officially released
earlier this week, but the second alpha release of Moblin is
actually shipping with Linux 2.6.29-rc7.
"In Moblin V2 Alpha 2 are a number of other updated packages
including Xfce 4.6, the GNOME 2.26 Release Candidate, an updated
version of the Clutter library, and various other package updates.
Some of the other items mentioned in the release notes include
updated Moblin system services, support for the MSI Wind netbook,
updated ConnMan (the connection manager for Moblin), enhanced
boot-process / inter-process / package interactions, updates to the
OS libraries, an updated Moblin Image Creator, and many other
fixes. On the desktop are a mixture of GNOME and Xfce applications
-- the Mousepad text editor, Totem for audio/video playback, Cheese
for any web-camera needs, and Firefox for the web-browser."
- Presto Loads a Streamlined Desktop in 15 Seconds(Mar 20, 2009)
- 5 Technologies that will shape the future of Linux(Mar 18, 2009)
- 10 ways to go green with Linux(Mar 05, 2009)
- Will Ubuntu 9.04 Be Jauntily Fast?(Feb 17, 2009)
- Android moving on to mobile Internet tablets, media players(Feb 11, 2009)
- Moblin2 first impressions -- wow, does it boot fast!(Jan 29, 2009)
- Intel Moblin V2 Core Alpha: It Boots Fast!(Jan 28, 2009)
- Moblin v2 Alpha Linux for netbooks released(Jan 27, 2009)