Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger: New Features in Postgres 8.4
Apr 24, 2009, 19:32 (0 Talkback[s])
(Other stories by Selena Deckelmann)
Full Text Search: The Key to Better Natural Language Queries for NoSQL in Node.js
[ Thanks to An Anonymous Reader for
this link. ]
"The roller coaster announcements coming from Oracle
and Sun this week have a number of people questioning the fate of
MySQL. While the GPL'd database probably isn't going anyplace soon,
now might be a good time to remind yourself that alternatives to
MySQL do exist. And that some, in the case of PostgreSQL, are
"With the beta version of PostgreSQL 8.4 just announced, testers
are already downloading and trying out some of the newest features.
As with every new release of PostgreSQL, there are performance
improvements that you should be aware of, as well as new and useful
configuration parameters available that will make your system
administrator's life easier. Let's dive in.
"If you've never used PostgreSQL before, now is a great time to
try it out. PostgreSQL is a powerful, open source object-relational
database system with more than than 15 years of active development.
PostgreSQL is also known as 'Postgres', and will be referred to by
that nickname for the rest of the article."
- PostgreSQL 8.4 goes into beta, ups performance(Apr 23, 2009)
- PostgreSQL 8.3 Designed for Better Speed(Feb 05, 2008)
- PhpPgAdmin: The Web Developer's Client Tool for Postgres(Nov 19, 2007)
- PostgreSQL Advocates Press On(Nov 07, 2007)
- EnterpriseDB Releases New PostgreSQL Distro(Sep 28, 2007)
- PostgreSQL or MySQL: Which is Faster?(Apr 24, 2007)
- internetnews.com: PostgreSQL 8.2 Closes The Gap(Dec 06, 2006)
- SearchOpenSource: Postgres Slides In Between Oracle, MySQL(Nov 29, 2006)
- internetnews.com: PostgreSQL Gets Less Pervasive(Aug 02, 2006)