Happy Birthday, Mozilla - and Thanks for Being Here
Jun 05, 2009, 21:04 (1 Talkback[s])
(Other stories by Glyn Mody)
Full Text Search: The Key to Better Natural Language Queries for NoSQL in Node.js
[ Thanks to Glyn
Moody for this link. ]
"There's a number of noteworthy points here. The first
is that the Mozilla project was originally a browser *suite*, which
included an email reader and a chat client as well as a browser.
This was a throwback to the old Netscape Communicator suite, on
which it was based.
"Also interesting to note that Mitchell Baker was the leader of
Mozilla, then as now -- an indication of the central role she has
played in the success of not just Mozilla, but open source too.
For, as the second paragraph presciently notes, the browser has
become the "main interface between users and the Web" - indeed, it
is now arguably the main interface to *computing*, what with the
rise of mainstream online services that run entirely in the
browser. This makes Mozilla's success all-the-more important."
- Mozilla Jetpack is no Greasemonkey(May 31, 2009)
- Mozilla Ponders Content Extraction(May 21, 2009)
- Mozilla New Mail Icon brings Mozilla Thunderbird Email Notification to your System Tray(May 18, 2009)
- Mozilla Firefox updates to 3.0.10 and 3.5 Beta 4(Apr 29, 2009)
- Mozilla Weaves a New Services Backend(Apr 19, 2009)
- Why Mozilla must win the hearts of new Web users(Apr 10, 2009)
- Mozilla SUMO Is No Lightweight(Apr 10, 2009)
- Mozilla Details Firefox 3.6, Publishes Roadmap(Apr 08, 2009)
- Mozilla finally launches next Firefox beta(Mar 16, 2009)
- Mozilla Contemplates a Future Without Google(Mar 12, 2009)