KDE release adds 2,000 features
Aug 13, 2009, 10:32 (14 Talkback[s])
Desktop-as-a-Service Designed for Any Cloud ? Nutanix Frame
"Code-named "Caizen," release 4.3 offers a wide variety of
enhancements to KDE, which competes with Gnome as well as smaller
players in the competition for Linux desktop environments. The
release is expected to show up in major Linux distributions in a
"Improvements have been made to all the major elements of the
KDE Desktop Workspace, including the Plasma Desktop Shell, the KWin
window manager, Dolphin network- and content-aware file manager,
KRunner search and launch system, and SystemSettings menus, says
the KDE Community. Some of the biggest changes have occurred with
the Plasma Desktop Shell, KDE's desktop and panels system, which
offers customizable widgets.
"Sporting a new "Air" default theme (see above), the Plasma
Desktop Shell boasts considerable performance improvements, with
reduced memory usage and smoother animations, claims the project.
Activities can now be tied to virtual desktops, enabling different
sets of widgets for each desktop. Running jobs are now grouped in a
single progress bar, and animations signify when jobs are running.
Additional changes include improved keyboard shortcuts, easier
widget creation, and new widgets such as a "Translatoid widget"
that channels Google Translate."
Reviews of KDE 4.3(Aug 11, 2009)
- I want my old Amarok 1.4 back in Ubuntu - Well, Anything is possible in Linux ;-(Aug 08, 2009)
Hands-on: KDE 4.3 delivers a Social Desktop(Aug 06, 2009)
- KDE 4.3 Shaping Up Nicely, KWin Needs Work(Jul 28, 2009)
- KDE's new Plasma netbook interface shines in small places(Jul 27, 2009)
- The KDE 4 Journey(Jul 24, 2009)
- My KDE 4.x Desktop Activities Tutorial(Jul 24, 2009)
- KDE 4.3 RC1 in Kubuntu 9.04 - Overview & Screenshots(Jul 08, 2009)