Linux Newbie, You Have Options.
Aug 20, 2009, 13:04 (0 Talkback[s])
(Other stories by Ken Hess)
Full Text Search: The Key to Better Natural Language Queries for NoSQL in Node.js
[ Thanks to Ken Hess
for this link. ]
"Do we verbally slug it out in forums or do we offer
gentle guidance to those entering the Linux jungle for the first
time? It's hard not to offer an opinion in such emotional matters.
One might believe that Linux, choice of desktop and editors are
religious notions instead of technical ones. I offer the following
gentle guidelines for the newbie who dares enter our sacred space.
"Linux is many things to many people. For you, it is an
alternative to Microsoft Windows and the Mac OS. For us, Linux is
an operating system kernel that's used in creating Linux
distributions. Distributions are a collection of programs,
applications, tools and graphics to create an operating system
environment comparable to what you experience with Windows or
- Desktop Choices: Mac, Linux, Windows, Browser -- Browser?(Aug 14, 2009)
- Palm responds to Pre privacy talk(Aug 14, 2009)
- Linux Needs to be "House" Trained. Not.(Aug 05, 2009)
- Frugal Friday: Windows 7 & Hyper-V, CentOS, openSUSE(Aug 01, 2009)
- Does Linux Have a 'Safe Mode'?
(Jul 28, 2009)
- FreeNAS: Free and Snazzy Storage Solution(Jul 24, 2009)
- It's Time for an International Linux Summit(Jul 21, 2009)
- Frugal Friday (Podcast): HP Tech Support, Amazon is Big Brother, Apollo 11, Scientific Linux(Jul 18, 2009)
- The First Church of Linux(Jul 16, 2009)