Protecting Mom's PC
Sep 17, 2009, 19:02 (1 Talkback[s])
(Other stories by Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols)
Full Text Search: The Key to Better Natural Language Queries for NoSQL in Node.js
[ Thanks to Steven J.
Vaughan-Nichols for this link. ]
"I have a dad, who thinks he knows computers, and he
does know electronics, but software, well, that's another story. I
also have a mother-in-law, who's both totally non-technical and
she's a native Spanish-speaker with little English and my Spanish
is awful. They're both bright people, but when it comes to computer
security, they're babes in the woods.
"I've tried, just like I know many of you have with your
computer naïve friends and relatives, to get them up to speed
on PC security 101. I've installed anti-virus software, I've set
their firewalls to keep out everything except e-mail and the Web;
and told them that they must always update their computers. You
know the drill.
"And, of course, they still click on fake Web pages; and they
click on the links in e-mails that purport to be from Hallmark
and... Well, I don't need to tell you the rest. You've been there,
you've done that."
- CAD Programs for Linux(Sep 12, 2009)
- Microsoft's New Tollgate: exFAT on Flash Media(Aug 27, 2009)
- How Safe is your Credit/Debit Card?(Aug 20, 2009)
- The Curse of the Living Windows(Aug 18, 2009)
Is too much choice getting in the way of Linux' acceptance?(Aug 11, 2009)
- Editor's Note: Happy Birthday to Me, Tech = Change, Change is Good(Aug 08, 2009)
- 5 Tips for Raising Your Girl Geek(Aug 07, 2009)
- KDE 4.3 is here(Aug 04, 2009)
- On Pi Approximation Day, Flying Pigs and DRM(Jul 28, 2009)