Pulling the trigger on Ubuntu 9.10 upgrade, Part 1: Eyes wide open/shut
Nov 03, 2009, 21:02 (4 Talkback[s])
(Other stories by Steven Rosenberg)
Full Text Search: The Key to Better Natural Language Queries for NoSQL in Node.js
"This is an upgrade, not a clean install, so I won't be getting
(and don't really want) the new GRUB 2 bootloader. I won't get the
ext4 filesystem, either (although I would like to try it, I'm not
sufficiently motivated at present to do a full reinstall).
"I'm fairly confident that all of my hardware — a 2002-era
Toshiba Satellite 1100-S101 and any one of three WiFi adapters
— will work.
"I'm less confident about the laptop's Intel video. Intel video
hasn't just been problematic in Linux for the past couple of years.
It's been a problem in the BSDs, too. It all comes down to Xorg. Or
Intel. Depends on who you ask. Or whom you ask."
- DigiKam - Not really an image editor, but possibly the only one to do what I need it to do(Oct 23, 2009)
- Browsers in Linux: They own your CPU (and so so in Windows and Mac, too)(Oct 22, 2009)
- The Ubuntu obsession of Tanner Helland(Oct 08, 2009)
- Ubuntu 9.04 more stable than 8.04 on my particular rig(Oct 02, 2009)
- Airlink 101 AWLL3028 $10 USB WiFi adapter works automatically with Ubuntu 8.04(Sep 21, 2009)
- Xkill is your friendly neighborhood process killer(Aug 19, 2009)
- Booting Puppy 4.1.2 from a USB stick � it could stand in well for Chrome OS(Aug 07, 2009)
- How much memory is enough?(Aug 07, 2009)