The 2009 Linux and free software timeline - Q1
Dec 14, 2009, 16:34 (0 Talkback[s])
How to Help Your Business Become an AI Early Adopter
"There were also lawsuits over software patents, arguments over
licensing, and various security flaws found and fixed.
Distributions were packaged up and released, more phones and other
devices with Linux and free software were sold, and so forth. All
part of the march to "world domination". We look forward to
"This year we will be breaking things up into quarters, and this
is our report on January-March 2009. Over the next month or so, we
will be putting out timelines of the other three quarters of the
"This is version 0.8 of the 2009 timeline. There are almost
certainly some errors or omissions; if you find any, please send
them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
"LWN subscribers have paid for the development of this timeline,
along with previous timelines and the weekly editions. If you like
what you see here, or elsewhere on the site, please consider
subscribing to LWN.
"For those with a nostalgic bent, our timeline index page has
links to the previous eleven timelines and some other retrospective
articles going all the way back to 1998."
- 40 years of Multics, 1969-2009(Nov 12, 2009)
- 40 Years of Unix(Sep 29, 2009)
- The 10 biggest moments in IT history(Sep 18, 2009)
- Unix Hits the Big Four-Oh(Jun 16, 2009)
- Timeline: 40 years of OS milestones(Mar 25, 2009)
- Awesome Timeline of Unix, Linux and Mac OSX(Sep 02, 2007)
- LWN: The 2006 Linux and Free Software Timeline(Jan 05, 2007)
- Linux Journal: Linux Timeline(Jun 01, 2006)
- LWN: The LWN.net 2005 Linux and Free Software Timeline(Jan 05, 2006)