Ubuntu 10.4: My first impressions
Mar 02, 2010, 14:03 (0 Talkback[s])
(Other stories by Jack Wallen)
Desktop-as-a-Service Designed for Any Cloud ? Nutanix Frame
"I couple of months ago I covered what was to be expected in the
upcoming release of Ubuntu (Lucid Lynx – 10.4). This release
will happen in April 2010 and is much anticipated by users across
the globe. I have installed the Alpha of 10.4 and have been using
it for a while now. It is time to offer up my impressions of what
is to come to those wacky Ubuntu fan boys and girls.
"At first blush
"What I was really surprised about was the lack of the new look.
I had reported that a team of Ubuntu developers were developing a
new GTK+ theme that would include RGBA support. This support would
introduce a better (and native) transparency to the widgets. At
this point I can find no indication that this is going to happen.
In fact, the only change of appearance I now hear of is Ubuntu
moving away from the brown color scheme in favor or a gray color
scheme. What I have seen, of proposed themes, are not attractive at
all. Modern desktops have taken a very different approach. To that
end the average users are expecting a bit more from the look and
feel of their interface. I have always wondered why a distribution,
such as Ubuntu, hasn't always installed Emerald by default."
Ubuntu Lucid Makes Scanning Simple(Mar 01, 2010)
- An Update On The Boot & Power Performance In Ubuntu 10.04(Feb 26, 2010)
- A preview of Ubuntu 10.04(Feb 25, 2010)
- Top 15 Wallpapers for Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid from Ubuntu Artwork Pool(Feb 25, 2010)
- EXT3, EXT4, Btrfs Ubuntu Netbook Benchmarks(Feb 22, 2010)
- Ubuntu 10.04 May Backport More Kernel DRM(Feb 19, 2010)
- Ubuntu Global Jam: Should Customers Join In?(Feb 05, 2010)
- The Latest, Greatest, Scariest, and the Future of Information(Feb 05, 2010)