What's your school project? An alternative to Microsoft Windows!
Mar 31, 2010, 09:03 (1 Talkback[s])
(Other stories by Marco Fioretti)
Re-Imagining Linux Platforms to Meet the Needs of Cloud Service Providers
[ Thanks to M.
Fioretti for this link. ]
"The final year of all Italian High Schools (18/19
years age students) ends with a formal State Exam. Depending on
which category of school they attend, all students are tested in a
different group of subjects and the final vote also depends on
personal projects prepared for each subject. This year, among all
the final year students in Italy there are two who are preparing a
project that is as unusual (at least for Italy) as interesting.
Andrea Lazzarotto and Stefano Signori, of the State Technical
Industrial Institute (Istituto Tecnico Industriale Statale ( or
ITIS in italian) "E. Fermi" of Bassano del Grappa will build for
their software project a Linux distribution, that is a complete
environment for desktop computers alternative to Microsoft Windows.
This distribution, called ITIS Linux http://itislinux.it whose alfa
version is already downloadable, contains all the Free Software
programs usable to study and teach the subject of the three
branches of italian ITISes present at Fermi: mechanics, electronics
"Replacing Windows?!? Why?
"Andrea and Stefano chose this project to prove what Free
Software can do for education and to fight an unpleasant, but
unfortunately very common situation in italian schools and
- Open source textbook writing experiment in italian school(Mar 30, 2010)
- Cash for software clunkers? No, thanks, unless it promotes Free formats and soft(Mar 26, 2010)
- Microsoft, where did you get those data about ODF?(Mar 22, 2010)
- More than 100 candidates to Italian regional elections support Free Software(Mar 18, 2010)
- When traditional media want copyright for themselves, but violate others' copyright(Mar 05, 2010)
- Taxing every citizen for Microsoft Windows problems? Are we insane?(Mar 03, 2010)
- Junior High School students in Monza build their own Ubuntu computers(Mar 02, 2010)